Miami canal catches

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2095986; said:
No, I've never seen any convicts, only the fish I mentioned in my earlier post. I've also seen in other canals salvini and a couple of species of tilapia. I used to fish the Tamiami canal (c4) down by nw 7th street where Pan American Hospital and St. Dominic's Catholic Church are, used to be very good for peacocks and some oscars and tilapia. There were snook there as well, but never caught one there. Other than that, I mostly fish down south where I live by.

The convicts I would say are common in one of the canals I go to but have never seen salvini . Now that's one fish I like.

Imagine somewhat dilluted colors?

$$mok3d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
South Florida
I'm surprised you don't catch any salvini's. They have established a breeding population in my local canal along with the mayans and tilapias. If you ever fish the C-14 canal (Griffin Canal) in Davie you can catch flowerhorns and also I saw a breeding pair of Black Acaras for the first time. It's a shame there are so many irresponsible fish owners out there. Just the other day I was fishing in Tamarac and came across a Red Devil near a spawn bed. I hope a big peacock comes and eats his bright ass like this one did a salvini today.

Heres some cool cichlids I catch at my bait spot.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Great looking fish great color's. I have never seen them hope to as they are my favorite cichlid . You caught yours on hook?

I don't see it as irresponsible because if not for cichlid's the canals would just be mosquito fish even the PB are non native. I can see snakeheads among a few other's but not the small cichlid's

You don't see sunfish nor other bass in the canals' it seem's the water is just to warm for them. The more cichlid's the better .

Around here we recently found lot's dead green treefrogs. Seems the town fumigated 2 days before maybe with pouring rain from storm it got "into" the treefrogs and killed them.

I mean even in street I found them. Now that is irresponsible . I know what you mean but the cichlid's found in canal's aren't a problem its the constant construction , less wild areas, polluted canals and pesticides (ESP) which are the problem and those the city sanction's.

IMO the small harmless cichlid's that live in canal's are one of the few nice thing's about South Florida .

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
If you ever fish the C-14 canal (Griffin Canal) in Davie you can catch flowerhorns and also I saw a breeding pair of Black Acaras for the first time.
-------------

Oh thanks for the info. I don't know what the canal's I go are called . How did you get the name C-14. I ask as easy than to mention the canal when I post .

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
that's up north, I've never fished that canal, I used to fish a lot in C-4 (Tamiami Canal) with moderate success. There aren't too many salvini in Miami, most are in Broward.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2101354; said:
that's up north, I've never fished that canal, I used to fish a lot in C-4 (Tamiami Canal) with moderate success. There aren't too many salvini in Miami, most are in Broward.
Tamiami I have caught Peacock bass all sizes but again prefer neat unusual fish just for pics though lately other than seeing them it's been horrible fishing for me .

I think it's not far from me not sure . I am in Doral . Surprised not a big population in Miami .

It's funny when I hear/read that people use cichlid's as bait because it makes me cringe lol.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I used to use small tilapia as bait for peacocks, but I find shiners to be more effective, since the tilapias are higher-bodied, and smaller peacocks (12" for example) won't hit them sometimes. Either way I like using lures for pbass

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2102061; said:
I used to use small tilapia as bait for peacocks, but I find shiners to be more effective, since the tilapias are higher-bodied, and smaller peacocks (12" for example) won't hit them sometimes. Either way I like using lures for pbass

When I first moved here . I could not catch a PB for month's .
The Mistake I had made was that I was fishing at night thus only catching reg bass and sunfish few channel cats to.
In Long Island I used to fish at night on those party boat's for Blue Fish and just assumed it was all the same.

First time I went during day in lake fed by large Canal I started catching them than after caught my first jag cichlid lost interest on PB and only like other cichlids.

Now just interested in cichlid's .
I bait a tiny hook and lower it by the rocks where they live. You see other guy's casting out lures bringing in Peacocks and looking at me like "What in the world" lol .

Tilapias are all over here but another fish I have not caught .

For me the small rubber frogs have worked well for PB but the reg shiney fish type lures have worked to .

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
tilapia, like most cichlids get pretty easy to catch when they pair up, then just toss in a small jig or something like that and you will catch them. I personally have no use for a 12" tilapia, since I'm not eating something I catch out of the canal, and they are not particularly good fighters IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store