Midas and RTM journey

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The jack is my old girl... shes 8.5 inches and thick... the other 2 are only 6 inches... the midas hangs around her and cowers behind her when the mota chases him lol
Nice i hope that works out. I previously tried a flowerhorn-midevil-JD trio in my 150 but the JD became a punching bag once the others reached around 8-9". They just dont seem to have the guns to hang with big amphs.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Nice i hope that works out. I previously tried a flowerhorn-midevil-JD trio in my 150 but the JD became a punching bag once the others reached around 8-9". They just dont seem to have the guns to hang with big amphs.
It's all really upto the individual personality... the female jd actually used to be a straight up beast and nothing could live with her... I had rescued an old male jd that recently passed, but as soon as I had them together shes been calm ever since... I've also had flowerhorn before and 2 of them were puppy dogs and wouldnt harm a fly.. a couple others were very viscous!
I'm going to guess that the mota wont be able to live with the HD and midas long term as hes already pushing his weight around with the midas and the midas and jack get along great... time will tell tho

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
These kinds of tanks are always a balancing act, and unfortunately things can change on the drop of a dime. I have had fish that played well for years, then suddenly one day out of nowhere somebody ends up torn to pieces.

The midas is clearly a male (as per vent shot of last pic) so my money is on him being the potential problem child, once he gains more size, and gonadal changes take place as he sexually matures. I don't think that those other fish will stand a chance, if/when he decides to not play nice. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but IME that would be the exception, not the norm. The size of your tank will help, but a few hundred gallons more, would help more. lol

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
These kinds of tanks are always a balancing act, and unfortunately things can change on the drop of a dime. I have had fish that played well for years, then suddenly one day out of nowhere somebody ends up torn to pieces.

The midas is clearly a male (as per vent shot of last pic) so my money is on him being the potential problem child, once he gains more size, and gonadal changes take place as he sexually matures. I don't think that those other fish will stand a chance, if/when he decides to not play nice. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but IME that would be the exception, not the norm. The size of your tank will help, but a few hundred gallons more, would help more. lol
Oh I absolutely agree with you @RD the more room the better and even with 300 or more gallons it doesnt meen it will work out... I meen my mota is 6 inches and has claimed half the tank already.. any time the midas crosses the half way mark he attacks... I'm surprised you say the midas will be the problem child tho... I figure the mota will be more than the midas could handle but I'm sure you are better in the know than me... either way I will continuously keep this thread updated as they grow bigger and older... now a question I have for you is, adding other cichlids for the time being would be a good decision or a bad one? The tank in the end will only consist of the jack and 1 or 2 others that will get along well enough to live together for the next year to 2 years and others will get their own tank or be rehomed to appropriate accommodations.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
For sure, it could go either way, especially if the mota is already setting up camp and holding half the tank as his own. But once mature the bulk and brute force of a midas is hard to beat. I guess time will tell how things play out. IMO anything added at this point will probably just get shredded. For sure they won't fair well if they venture over to the motas side of the tank, and with new fish landing on the other side, my guess is the other two cichlids won't be very appreciative of their new tank mates either. These situations are always a gamble.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
For sure, it could go either way, especially if the mota is already setting up camp and holding half the tank as his own. But once mature the bulk and brute force of a midas is hard to beat. I guess time will tell how things play out. IMO anything added at this point will probably just get shredded. For sure they won't fair well if they venture over to the motas side of the tank, and with new fish landing on the other side, my guess is the other two cichlids won't be very appreciative of their new tank mates either. These situations are always a gamble.
I hear ya man! Thanks for your input! I always appreciate it

Reactions: RD.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Hi all! Been a bit since I updated the thread... everything is going fine! Midas is starting to stick up for himself a bit now with the mota though... nothing bad with that but time will tell how these 2 along with the jack get along long term.
Question I had was about scapeing for these cichlids... my tank right now looks great and has alot of plant growth in it... but as these guys get bigger was hopeing I could get some responses with how to scape.... less clutter and more room for them to move around? Less or more territories? Stuff like that. Would a more natural scape be purely rock scape? Let me know guys thanks! Here is a awkward shot of the tank :)

20190927_140128.jpg

Reactions: Matteus and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store