Minimum Tank Size

Anthony Williams

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
I'm looking to set up a Very Aggressive community tank but at the same time I don't want too much blood shed. Here is what I want in my tank.

Red Devil
Festae Red Terror
Green Terror
Grammodes (mini Dovii)
Haitian Cichlid (Black Nasty)
hoplias curupira (Black Wolf Fish)
Pike Cichlid

What sized tank do you suggest I get to house each of these fish at, lets say, 12 inches each? I do know how large each of these fist get and I do know what they're capable of as far as aggression goes.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
Doesn't matter of the tank size. With that stock. There will be fights. Big ones.

Chipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2012
Canada
I agree, that's not a good mix at all. i would recommend multiple tanks. but with those fish your going to need species set ups so that's a lot of tanks.

Anthony Williams

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
I know there will be fights. I just don't want there to be too much conflict of interest when it comes to establishing territory throughout the tank. In your opinion, what might you suggest I remove from my list?

Anthony Williams

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
I agree, that's not a good mix at all. i would recommend multiple tanks. but with those fish your going to need species set ups so that's a lot of tanks.
What if I removed the wolf fish, the pike, and the gt? Do you think that could work in a large enough tank if all fish were raised from juveniles? Aslo, what if I added some Dithers such as Silver Dollars?

BHMaloney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2012
Riverview, NB
Still won't work - one fish will establish dominance and progressively kill off the others. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say you want 100 gallons per full grown fish, which would put you somewhere in the 300-400 gallon range. Even then there's no guarantee they won't kill each other off. For grow out purposes they could be held together until they reach about 4 inches, even then you'd be running a risk.

With regards to dithers, they might survive, but it won't keep a super aggressive fish from targeting any other fish.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
What if I removed the wolf fish, the pike, and the gt? Do you think that could work in a large enough tank if all fish were raised from juveniles? Aslo, what if I added some Dithers such as Silver Dollars?
You would be better of removing the others honestly. Haitians do not tolerate tank mates. They will kill them and if they can't they will bloat and die. Festae can be extremely aggressive as well. So can the red devil. All three are way better of in solo or as a pair and that's it. With a large enough tank and if you choose your pike wisely, meaning not the aggressive end of the spectrum, you might get it to work. But you will need to ditch the others for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store