MMA News and Notes

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
I'm looking forward to this card. Jones and Cormier should be good, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Lombard decapitate another opponent. Hopefully, someone in the top 5 will accept a fight with him after this. My money says that they will continue to duck him.

Oh, and Tim Sylvia is 371lbs and could not get medically cleared for his next fight.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Bones wins by unanimous decision.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah that probably would have tipped things too far in Cormier's favor.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
he actually did beat dc at his own game.

besides the wrestling, huge part of dc's game is in the clinch. dc claimed to be the king of the grind. which is out grinding people on the inside with clinching and dirty boxing along with takedowns and top control. but with jones negating dc's wrestling jones outworked dc in the clinch and beating him up inside more so than from a distance.

jones height and reach was again a main factor, not so much in striking from the outside, but in takedown defense. when dc would clinch up and try for takedowns, all bones had to do was bend forward and not allow dc to grip his body or get under his hips to pick jones up. his lengthy arms and legs give him a strong base and part of that success was due to him having a huge height and reach advantage. even though dc is a strong wrestler, he couldn't get the position he needed to take jones down. and as the fight went on, the more they tired, the chances of using his wrestling became less of a factor.

he couldn't use a double leg takedown because of jones' size and he had to resort to single leg takedown attempts. and the one time he was able to find it, jones limbs are so long, when dc had him up in the air, jones was already in a position to fall on his hands and knees to pop back out while the smaller dc was already out of position to maintain control from the top. when dc did the same slams on josh Barnett and dan Henderson, they didn't have the limbs like jones so when getting dumped, to avoid being dumped head first, they'd roll with the slam and end up being slammed on their backs.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
dc lost in the place he thought he needed to be to win the fight. which was on the inside and in the clinch.

I was rooting for dc really hard, but in my heart of hearts I felt that jones would take the fight. i'm not sure if a rematch would end any different.

what surprised me was that I thought low kicks would be a huge part of bones' game plan but low kicks wasn't utilized much at all. but jon has amazing fight IQ, he is hardly ever in a bad position and he's always aware of where he is. and he is the best at utilizing his size, height and length. I'm not even sure a rematch with Gus would be as close as their first meeting.

in the end, I felt bad for dc. I feel bad for any loser where there's a whole lot of bad blood going into the fight. because that makes the fight mean so much more and only one can win, leaving the other with a very bruised ego.

after the fight, on the post fight show, jones said he hopes dc is crying somewhere. then later in an interview dc had obviously been crying. he was very crushed and jon didn't waste any opportunity to rub it in. which is his right after all the crap that was said to eachother

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Why would a rematch with gust be close? His trainers said he completely focused on boxing leading up to the fight, wanting to beat gust at his game. With this fight he didn't want to focus on anyone thing and remained balanced in his training.

I only feel bad for DC because he's kinda old. You know he wanted it bad and it's crushing his spirit. I wouldn't want to be him today

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
why would a rematch with gus be close?

because it's his closest match he's had to date? I think it would be competitive but I don't know if it will be as close. many believe jones lost. but I feel he'll be better prepared and have a better game plan

it's not only dc's age, it's also the fact that he's always been the bride's maid and never the bride. in college he never won, in the Olympics he never won and now in mma he came so close he can smell the gold but he came up short.

that and all the crap he was talking. they both were talking crap but he did his fair share of it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store