Monitors or Tegus?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ivan how big did your Nile get and what became of it?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Don't get a Nile especially since this will be your first large lizard. I had mine for 8 years and no matter how much time i spent with it. It never tamed down. It is very rare to get 1 that will learn to trust you and once you're bit, which you will be no doubt, you won't wanna take it out as much. Their bites are extremely painful. Feeding such a large lizard is also expensive. They're not like snakes where once every week or 2 is fine. These guys need food at least every other day, preferably everyday and they defecate in water so daily washing off the bowl is necessary and the smell is horrible. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Nile even though he was a complete ***** but they are definitely an animal that shouldn't be offered so cheap. Stick with your other choice of a savannah. They're much easier to handle and easily tame

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Got about 6ft and it escaped when my buddy was watching it while I was on vacation :( he forgot to lock the glass door and it opened it and got out. There's a lot of wilderness by me so I never found it

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh wow,sorry to hear.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Got about 6ft and it escaped when my buddy was watching it while I was on vacation :( he forgot to lock the glass door and it opened it and got out. There's a lot of wilderness by me so I never found it

so theres like a 6 ft nile terrorizing CA somewhere? haha.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Forgot to add. The biting is the least of your worries when it comes to niles, or any monitor actually. It's those claws that rip through your flesh that hurt the most.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Haha WAS. It's definitely dead now cuz this was about 7 years ago and there's no way it could survive the winter here

wasnt sure how bad the winters got in that area haha, I just a mental picture of a nile chasing some lady in highheels down the street with that crazy nile monitor run they have.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
wasnt sure how bad the winters got in that area haha, I just a mental picture of a nile chasing some lady in highheels down the street with that crazy nile monitor run they have.
LOL!...I was also wondering about the weather in that area.I bet it must have taken out a few stray cats and dogs before it died.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store