Montezumae swordtail fry!

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
The end of last year I set up a little 60l tank to breed my little group of monties, I wanted to increase my group size to around a dozen. I had 5f and 1m, I managed to get 4f (the smallest female was too cunning for me 🤣) and the male netted out of the main tank and into the breeder.

One month later they have graced me with 20 or so fry and some very gravid looking females that'll soon be increasing that number.

Here's my latest additions along with the parents

20230103_213933.jpg

20230103_213836.jpg

20221215_000947.jpg

20221215_000640.jpg

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
Nice! Those adults are just gorgeous. I have not had montezumas for many years, and I don't see good quality fish often. Congrats and Good luck raising lots of fry!
Thanks. I'm in the UK and you don't see them often over here, a keen hobbyist breeder got hold of them for me. I'm very impressed with them, the male seems to look better everyday

Reactions: tlindsey

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Congratulations, I'm thinking of getting some myself in the near future. I currently just have birchmanni, in terms of that branch of swordtails.

Kevin@TUIC

Dovii
Staff member
Community Vendor
MFK Member
very nice! super rare to see X. montezumae. Almost all in the hobby are just X. helleri and are marketed by some of the Fl farms as green montezuma.
Monte's have very small spawns and are a cool water fish so most that ever were over here in the us market died off and have vanished years ago. nice to see these.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
These are lovely; I like Swordtails in general, and currently have a nice breeding colony of ordinary green helleri. I've only seen one other species (not montezumae) ever in person, and the small group was already spoken for and unavailable...otherwise I would have snapped them up on the spot.

Thanks to Kevin@TUIC Kevin@TUIC for that info in the above post. It makes those fish even more attractive to me than before. :) Our local aquarium club is resuming regular meetings next month, first time since Covid. They are one of my main sources of oddballs like this; fingers crossed...:)

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
very nice! super rare to see X. montezumae. Almost all in the hobby are just X. helleri and are marketed by some of the Fl farms as green montezuma.
Monte's have very small spawns and are a cool water fish so most that ever were over here in the us market died off and have vanished years ago. nice to see these.
They're great fish, the blue sheen and markings on my male are stunning! Didn't realise they are so rare in the US. I've never seen any others in person but they do come up for sale over here now and again, not something you'd find in the lfs though

Tripping Willow 91

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2021
England (Bedfordshire)
These are lovely; I like Swordtails in general, and currently have a nice breeding colony of ordinary green helleri. I've only seen one other species (not montezumae) ever in person, and the small group was already spoken for and unavailable...otherwise I would have snapped them up on the spot.

Thanks to Kevin@TUIC Kevin@TUIC for that info in the above post. It makes those fish even more attractive to me than before. :) Our local aquarium club is resuming regular meetings next month, first time since Covid. They are one of my main sources of oddballs like this; fingers crossed...:)
I have 4 big female green helleri in my meeki tank, I did have a male but he died a while back. The greens are nice but I wanted something a bit more special, I got in touch with a hobbyist and was amazed when 2 weeks later he had acquired this small group of monties for me. My greens will soon be rehomed and replaced with a dozen of these

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store