Moray Eels - some quick questions if you please?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Miguel, if you want an impression of how huge Tesselatas really get, there is one i the ocenario in Lisbon that is by far the largest eel I have ever seen! As big as a tree trunk...
I have a pic of it on MFK somewhere, I'll try to find a link.

DB, what about tessy+green moray?
Also, there are a few more dedicated moray keepers, like cichlaholics anonymous, canuck etc.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I know Ben. I have kept one, but all my morays were solo at the time.

I now want to replicate something along the lines of Db Junkie.

To see a Tesselata in action you go to Youtube and see the vid of one eating another moray in 1 minute...

And i agree with Db on the Dragons. Not my favourite.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I know Ben. I have kept one, but all my morays were solo at the time.

I now want to replicate something along the lines of Db Junkie.

To see a Tesselata in action you go to Youtube and see the vid of one eating another moray in 1 minute...

And i agree with Db on the Dragons. Not my favourite.
I personally feel tessy's should be the only eel in a tank just because of their large size and how aggressive they are. I've seen them attack similar sized eels. The lfs I worked at years ago had a tessy with an Atlantic green. They were good for a while but 1 day, the tessy just went crazy and attacked the green leaving large gashes around the head. We separated them and the green healed up fine but I would never wanna experience that if it were in my own personal collection.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I have been pondering things...

Found eels I wasn't aware of. Gymno Meleagris, gymno Steindachneri, gymno Undulatus....

Would a couple of Tessies work together?

Do i simply have to forego Tessie if attempting a comm?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I don't have much experience with Tessys but I'll likely end up getting one to keep with Barney as I don't see anyone ever buying him...... I think you could keep them in a community if there's similar sized eels in there......

I do know I've had bad experiences keeping similar species of morays. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but if it was it happened twice, as I tried 2 snowflakes and they'd chase each other relentlessly, to the point they'd straight jump tank if the lids were open (feeding time). Happened again when I tried 2 White Mouths. They just hated each other. After those 2 experiences I haven't tried again. BUT there was a guy over here that kept a group of 7 Hawaii/Japanese Dragons but I don't think they were adults.

I'm starting to wonder if my issues of Barney eating the other eels isn't my fault for lack of feeding...... I don't feed the eels near as much as all my other fish. Maybe IF I did it would continue to work........

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
All i read points to once a week feeding...but perhaps you should try a small reinforcement, yes.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think the issues with Morays isn't really if they work together, cause when sized right all I've ever tried to keep together have been just fine, the problem arises when the max sizes are reached by some then others grow 3-4 times that size, the real issue is finding the right ones.

Not sure what you guys have available over there but we don't have many available to us over here..... There's certain species that to my knowledge have never been offered for sale here and never will be simply because there's no friggin demand whatsoever. I mean look at this site, MONSTER fish keepers, and yet there's what like a half dozen of us that keep these crazy fanged sea serpent monsters? Nobody wants them. It makes me really sad cause there's stuff out there like Mosaics and Vipers that I'd give half my freshwater collection for, but since there's nobody wanting them they'll never be caught and made available.

IF anyone reading this thread has any good Moray sources PLEASE for the love of god, speak up!!!!!!!!! lol

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As far as I understand, we have quite a lot available, asking for them from specific suppliers.

Try and find someone over that side of the pond that works with TMC Tropical Marine Centre, one of the biggest wholesalers worldwide, I think.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I also never guessed so few moray keepers would be in MFK.

i quit saltaround 10 years ago. Will get back and it is with Morays.

Beyond these, only Pufferss and Triggers would ( and have ) interest me.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Desperately want to get into salt so I can keep morays.. Don't have the money, though :(

I have a few old PM's from some guys that are avid moray keepers.. I'll try and let them know about this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store