Moray Eels - some quick questions if you please?

jjballer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2014
Garden City
I have a green, zebra and snowflake moray eel. They aren't that great. I barely see them. There is a thread about someone's moray eel collection. He had a cool white lipped moray. I have been looking for one ever since.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Zebras are beautyfull imho, but have blunt teeth...not what i am on the lookout for at this moment :)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Gymnothorax moringa or Gymnothorax funebris are nice.
funebris are beautyfull but I blieve among the biggets.

Moringa is also stunning, but along those lines i would prefer Mileagris. Also Fishbase states they re sub tropical....

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I also never guessed so few moray keepers would be in MFK.

i quit saltaround 10 years ago. Will get back and it is with Morays.

Beyond these, only Pufferss and Triggers would ( and have ) interest me.
I really really like Lion Fish. Unfortunately they get eaten. I do have a Porcupine Puffer in with the eels though and man I've grown attached to that lil bugger.... Such personable fish..... Barney eats him and I'm going to get an gator to feed Barney to. lol

There's some pretty neat Scorpions and Anglers out there, but they'd be feeders just like the Lions.

My million dollar question I've asked here before and didn't really get a clear answer for - Could a guy keep a Wobby with the bigger eels????

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
By Wobby you mean Wobbegong?

No idea; emphirically I would say so, but....

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I really really like Lion Fish. Unfortunately they get eaten. I do have a Porcupine Puffer in with the eels though and man I've grown attached to that lil bugger.... Such personable fish..... Barney eats him and I'm going to get an gator to feed Barney to. lol

There's some pretty neat Scorpions and Anglers out there, but they'd be feeders just like the Lions.

My million dollar question I've asked here before and didn't really get a clear answer for - Could a guy keep a Wobby with the bigger eels????
I agree Alan. I tried keeping an inimicus didactylus with that fimbriated and for a while it worked but eventually the fimby ate him. Never tried an angler cuz I only did them tiny over here but I honestly don't think a wobegong would work (if it's the shark you're talking about). They get like 10ft so I can easily see them snacking on even the largest of morays.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Little late to the party....

The trouble I've had with eels is matching them up, and giving them enough territory. The trick I've found is to get them small and let them grow up together. Some of the larger eels (like green morays and tesselatas) don't look like they need much space, but become very active at night (and will actively eat your fish population despite any regular feedings).

I've had three greens get along well in a relatively small area, then tried to transition those same three into a MASSIVE aquarium only to have them fight until one died.

The last two I kept were a large Tesselata and a Giant Moray (Gymnothorax javanicus). They would eat from us, then at night would still eat the 'filler fish' in the tank from time to time. I don't have great pics of them...

In this pic I was just trying to get the two patterns to compare them. The Tessalata is in the back/left.

Here's me with one of my old green morays. Gives you an idea of how big the aquarium was we moved them into.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Greta you chimed in, Matt :)

So what would be a viable piscivorous combo, say 3 eels, acquired small and grown together ( max sizes about 3 to 4 )

And, in your view, would Muraena Helena ( the ones we get over here ) need a chiller in the summer? I believe unheated water coild recah around 30 celsius where i plan to install the tank....

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store