moving my monster silver to a real pond

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Sorry to hear this midnight...hope things get better for you. Good luck with the move too.

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
jcardona1;2616130; said:
i would use the biggest plastic bag you can find to catch him. ask a good LFS to give you a few large bags. put the bag in the tank and guide the aro into the bag. he wont even see the bag so it wont freak him out. then you can put him into the container.

i wouldnt recommend using a towel or sheet, etc. i tried this on a 2ft aro and it was rough, they get hurt pretty bad no matter how cautious you are.

the next time i moved him i used a big plastic bag and i was suprised at how easy it went. not even one splash of water. i know 30" is huge, but i had a large bag that easily fit my 2ft aro; aros are pretty flexible. besides, its just to help you get him out of the tank.

good luck man, post pics during the move!!!
big clear bag lol
and like i said,30 to 20 is a huge difference lol
i felt the same with 20" and im sure after this 30 will be nothing " LOL "
nishant_datta;2616134; said:
this should be the best thing and ideal step before moving him. try and turn off the heating of the tank for sometimes during the day as well. i hope he makes the switch. good luck.
thanx
likestofish;2616145; said:
what happened?
future wife of 9 years left me
house is for sale
im living well,who knows where
fish cant come
fun fun fun :(
demjor19;2616154; said:
Sorry to hear this midnight...hope things get better for you. Good luck with the move too.
thanx all im running on right now is hope :irked:

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
actually, its 24 to 30, not 20 to 30, but whos counting :D

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Sorry to hear about the crap luck man:(

I think the aro could make it. I've seen the Pbass (pretty close:)) so I know it's possible. I've had the best luck catching big aros with a nice koi net since they curl up and can't thrash too much. I would acclimate it for sure, but the biggest concern to me would be temperature. I'd move it in a huge rubbermaid with straps around it to keep the lid on. You might even be able to float the rubbermaid in the pond to match the temps. Another thing that might help with temps in the big pond is a solar cover over at least part of it, similar to what is used to heat pools.

saltydog_1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
st louis
what are the dimensions of the pond? what are the other inhabitants? if it's not too big a solar cover could deffinitely help.

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
rallysman;2616747; said:
Sorry to hear about the crap luck man:(

I think the aro could make it. I've seen the Pbass (pretty close:)) so I know it's possible. I've had the best luck catching big aros with a nice koi net since they curl up and can't thrash too much. I would acclimate it for sure, but the biggest concern to me would be temperature. I'd move it in a huge rubbermaid with straps around it to keep the lid on. You might even be able to float the rubbermaid in the pond to match the temps. Another thing that might help with temps in the big pond is a solar cover over at least part of it, similar to what is used to heat pools.
yup it sux bad
and ya your one of the few that have caught them :)
saltydog_1;2617583; said:
what are the dimensions of the pond? what are the other inhabitants? if it's not too big a solar cover could deffinitely help.
no clue on size
bigger then your thinking lol
maybe 100' round?just a guesss but about that
it has natives and 3 pbass

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
well....
talked to a lfs
he said i could get at least 100 bux for my aro,if i could find a buyer with room lol
he also said my aro might make it in the pond if i moved him in the summer
well by summer it will be too late
so 1 i sell for 100 bux
or 2 i take a chance and just see if he can make it in the pond when added in the winter "fl's winter that is" lol........

spring007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Where there is sunshine
sorry dude..good luck!

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Do not add it in the winter, if you can avoid it, Midnight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store