MUST READ - The Gar CAPTIVE CARE Guide

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander, as you know, richard and i have been extremely busy as of late (i can only speak for richard relatively, since we have both been so busy as to prevent ourselves from getting together over the past couple months); anyway, i'm sure we will take a look at this as it develops and get back to you. good start to things, will try to comment to you (primarily directly as opposed to posts) with edits/suggestions/further info.--
--solomon

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Could you please explain the benefits of your "step up" method for housing gar? It just seems like you are running the risk of stunting the fish, and that there is absolutely no harm in keeping a smaller fish in a big tank, as long as it has compatible tank mates.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
aclockworkorange;4685982; said:
there is absolutely no harm in keeping a smaller fish in a big tank, as long as it has compatible tank mates.
I would have to disagree. If you have a 2" fish in a 450 gallon tank the fish may suffer from malnutrition, because of not being able to find the food; especially if there are larger tank mates.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Alex, I emailed you a Tropical gar submission.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
aclockworkorange;4685982; said:
Could you please explain the benefits of your "step up" method for housing gar? It just seems like you are running the risk of stunting the fish, and that there is absolutely no harm in keeping a smaller fish in a big tank, as long as it has compatible tank mates.
A small gar in a large tank has the time to build up speed if/when spooked. If it then hits the side of the tank there is the increased risk of the gar breaking its back. In a smaller tank the damage from hitting the side is not as serious.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
yes. ^

It can also be hard to target feed a small gar in a very large tank depending on tank mates.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
I would have to disagree. If you have a 2" fish in a 450 gallon tank the fish may suffer from malnutrition, because of not being able to find the food; especially if there are larger tank mates.
This^

I have trouble feeding my baby oscar in my 90 gallon. Not a huge tank I know, but the oscar is 3" and hangs out on the other side of the 4' tank.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
will add in the reason for step up thread when i have time, but wrinkle, pharmaecopia & madding have basically covered it.

Tropical Gar Section is ADDED:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store