My 12x4x4 1400 gallon cichlid tank

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
Hey guys as promised here is the beginning of my now completed concrete aquarium build. I have a video downloading to YouTube that will be up on here as soon as it publishes.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1380060753.546415.jpg
This is how it looked right after we laid the block. Sorry I didn't take many pics of the build in progess. Fell free to ask about any part of the build I'm happy to share.
I sealed the block with pond armor to make it fish safe and water tight. I applied about 4.5 gallons of it. Spendy but worth it.
The window is a custom 3/4" piece of acrylic from glass cages. I used scs2000 to seal the window and love the stuff.
The window butts up against a wood frame that we j-bolted into the block. This gives it a flush surface to adhere to.
I will fishing the outside of the tank with tongue and groove when I finish the surrounding room. Thanks for reading and be sure to watch for the video later today;)ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1380061157.264560.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: Box car willy

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Great looking build!! What size timber is the frame for the window made of? Are there any front-to-back braces to reduce flex?

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
2x10 ripped down to 7 1/4 so the window is flush.there is no flex, but i do have 2x4 front to back screwed into the large 4x6 and a concree nailed 2x4 at the back to help aid in that front and to set my glass top on. In time those will be replaced with steel strap. Thats one of the beauties of concrete, it is so solid that the window is held in place much better. The 4x6 at the top is also sealed to the window to support the top. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store