My 190 gallon

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I love denisons barb aka red line shark, but they grow to big for my taste.

Color wise i'm satisfied.
There is a hint of red in most of my fish.

Angelfish has red eyes, so does german ram.
Bolivian rams has red on its outer fins, and vijeta has bright orange.
And rummynose has red on face.

The fishes blend very well in to the tank, and they don't draw to much attention to them.

Again, a tank with ottos and amanos are just amazing in terms of algae controll.
If you look at the first few photos you see some thread algae or hair algae, but that was gone within hours of fish being introduced.
I now have 12 hours of light on, and still no algae. Which is great, as I can wake up with the lights of the tank, I have a small flat, and my tank is in my livingroom/bedroom.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I thought Siamese Algae eating fish were the best algae eaters out there, but due to their adult size and reports of bad behaviour (i've never experienced that), made me try out Otto's.
And I wanted to keep it south american (even though plants and shrimps are not)

I've never had ottos, and their size made me think they wouldn't be of any use, but i stand corrected, these are without a doubt, the best algae eating fish i've ever had.

As you can see in one of the first pictures i've posted with the otto's on a anubias congensis, you can clearly tell where they have eaten.
And all of my plants 70+ were covered in that due to high NO3 during cycling, and literally within 6 hours, my tank was algae free.

Now I feed them algae pellets, and give the tank more light, in hope of giving them enough to eat, so highly recommended fish, if you have proper tank mates.

And regarding the Apistogramma's, they are the best looking ones i've ever seen, they are called Vjieta II.
Looks like one of the males has claimed two females, and the other male is by himself.

There has been no sign of agression towards cory's yet, and looks like their terratory is off the sand by 10-15 cm, inbetween the anbuias nana and javafern, so even if they spawn and guard the nest, the cory's won't be harrassed to much.

All in all, very pleased, and I love to see them dart in and out of the plants, the contrast of colors are beautifull.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Beautiful aquascaping, I like your choice of plants too; tanks that size are usually dedicated to massive fish, so its nice to see a community for a change :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Nobody makes black parts for the 2217. I wish. You can get glass lily pipes which are gorgeous but somewhat expensive, or get krylon fusion spray paint and throw a couple coats of black on which is what I did. I made the mistake of not sanding first to rough up the surface and everywhere there was white "eheim" print it is coming off. Also id highly recommend inline heaters from hydor if you wanted to make your heater invisible

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Beautiful aquascaping, I like your choice of plants too; tanks that size are usually dedicated to massive fish, so its nice to see a community for a change :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks, I was about to go with fewer, but larger fish, but I don't think I have proper sized tank for that, with smaller fish it's at least possible to see some behaviour close to that in the wild.

Most of the larger fish I really liked, were not plant friendly.

And since this is my first attempt at a planted tank, I decided to go with hardy and beginners plant.
I'm not ready for CO2 and all that goes with that, now i just add nutrients twice a week.

The only drawback with these plants are that they are prone to black beard algae, but with these fish and UV sterilizers I hopefully won't have a problem.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Nobody makes black parts for the 2217. I wish. You can get glass lily pipes which are gorgeous but somewhat expensive, or get krylon fusion spray paint and throw a couple coats of black on which is what I did. I made the mistake of not sanding first to rough up the surface and everywhere there was white "eheim" print it is coming off. Also id highly recommend inline heaters from hydor if you wanted to make your heater invisible

Thank you soo much!
I will look into the heaters and spraying the intake black.

I'm afraid the glass version will be highly visible, as in the light will reflect easy off it and make it shiny and visible, also dirt and algae might grow on the inside and make it look dreadfull.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store