My 210 FOWLR Turned Reef

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
dlp40;4798845; said:
Nice setup, wish i had the space and money for something like that. How did you get the rocks to float on the right side of the pic like that. I like that a lot. it adds a lot of intrest to the tank.
Thanks, I used 1/2 inch pvc pipe. Basically made a ramp, it is about 10 inches wide and has a lot of braces to hold the rock. I siliconed the small pieces of rock into place on the front of it, I am sure you can still see this, but in time coralline will cover it. I also covered the pvc in primer so it was purple and blended in better than the white.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
BIG-G;4798938; said:
just a thought. The snails and hermits wont last very long if you put a Tusk in with them. But he will love you for it......
Ya I know but I love Tusks so I may just remove the crabs and snails when I get one.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Leave them in...its a good thing to keep your fish healthy, and keep them interested in their surroundings.

You could go in on orders with me where hermits are like a cent each...I plan on doing 150 year to keep my triggers entertained.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
FLESHY;4799276; said:
Leave them in...its a good thing to keep your fish healthy, and keep them interested in their surroundings.

You could go in on orders with me where hermits are like a cent each...I plan on doing 150 year to keep my triggers entertained.
I would proly do that. When the fish is small it proly won't cause many problems anyway, it will just be when it's bigger.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I dunno...my baby rectangulus at 3" made work of my prolly 80ish hermits in no time at all...

You would be surprised what these things willdo with their playtoys. :D

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
FLESHY;4801180; said:
I dunno...my baby rectangulus at 3" made work of my prolly 80ish hermits in no time at all...

You would be surprised what these things willdo with their playtoys. :D
Crazy! That surprises me. Oh well, I will decide what to do when the time comes. Maybe take most of them out and slowly add them in so he has something to "play" with over time.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Updating the status of my tank now that I have things rolling. Since my last post in here I have made some upgrades:

Equipment:
-Converted my lighting from power compacts to 3 x 250 watt metal halides with 96 watts of actinic. Phoenix 14k bulbs.
-Hooking up a Precision Marine calcium reactor this weekend.
-I also got a free Red Sea ozonizer that needs a power cord so that I can see if it works and set it up.

Still Need:
-A Phosban Reactor
-2 Koralia 7's or 8's, haven't decided.

New Stocking List:
-6" Scribbled Angel(in tank)
-3" Emperor Angel(in tank)
-1.5" Vlamingi Tang(in QT)
-2" Picasso Clown Pair(in QT)
-2" 4 Bartlett's Anthias(in QT)
-3 Flame Wrasses(Getting shipped next week via the same company Fleshy's getting his Chevron tang from)

Still Need:
-Black Longnose Tang(added last)
-Hippo Tang(will be very small)
-Male Scribbled Angel(this would change all my plans and stocking, but I don't think I will be able to get my hands on one soon)

I have looked into drilling my tank and doing a Calfo style overflow and I think I am going to do it before all these new fish come out of quarantine. This will be very very helpful so that I can do water changes much easier than I currrently do(hang on overflow boxes suck). It will also make my setup much quieter and allow much more flow through my sump.

I plan on doing about 25 gallon water changes every week(or more if necessary) because I am attempting such a heavily stocked tank(I think that Fleshy is rubbing off on me). I also will be buying all of the tangs as small as possible(already have the vlamingi and he is very very small).

My plan is to have this tank setup for just over a year and then I will be moving and will be upgrading to a bigger tank. So I am not worried about the tangs and angels getting big and being a problem.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Oh and I will have pics coming soon...

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
dude very nice tank. Us wisconsin reef keepers really know how to do it lol. Im loving the angels. Whats your food mixture like? and what aquaC model is that? I have been having problems with my aquaC 150 as of lately. it is older, maybe time for a new one?

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
sweeTang21;4962405; said:
dude very nice tank. Us wisconsin reef keepers really know how to do it lol. Im loving the angels. Whats your food mixture like? and what aquaC model is that? I have been having problems with my aquaC 150 as of lately. it is older, maybe time for a new one?
Thanks man. I will get some pics of the new stuff hopefully today.

I feed a combination of New Life, Hikari and Ocean Nutrition Angel formulas, Mysis, Nori, Spirulina, and a Reef mix that Fleshy(another guy on here who hasn't been on a lot lately, but normally posts a lot) and I made. The mix includes Squid, Clam, Mussel, Krill, Scallops, Silversides, Shrimp, Plankton, Cyclopeeze, Selcon, Zoecon, 2 reef food mixs, Vitachem, and some other stuff I don't remember at the moment. I soak some food daily in Selcon or Zoecon before feeding it to my fish.

My skimmer is an EV-400. Works amazingly well, just cranks out skimmate everyday.

I didn't even know they ever made a 150. They now make a 120 and 180 instead. If you are having problems, you may want to look into a new spray injector. That is really the only thing on there that could possibly go bad I would think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store