My 3 florida Gars, All dead in 3 weeks...WTF happened?!?!?!

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
They might be affected very soon if that is the issue.. For as much as people think Gars are really hardy they really are very sensitive to some things. Chemicals such as chlorine, and anti parasite meds and insecticides do them in very quick. Aro's and RTC are not really as sensitive to these things and can suffer a bit more through it. Really think hard about what has been going on around the tank lately and if you have noticed anything with the water out of your tap.
The only other change I have made, other then 20% water changes was I removed all my live plants.

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
take water out of the tap and test it see what spiked in the tap water cause right now i think it was the chlorine that to me.

Hovering at the top gathering more air is most likely the small amounts of oxygen in the tank. And chlorine depletes the oxygen in the water.

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
take water out of the tap and test it see what spiked in the tap water cause right now i think it was the chlorine that to me.

Hovering at the top gathering more air is most likely the small amounts of oxygen in the tank. And chlorine depletes the oxygen in the water.
I will take a quick video of my tank right now and post it up for you. I have two power head filters on the tank, along with a air pumped hooked up to a power head. Water is 80*. They SHOULD have more then enough oxygen.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
The only other change I have made, other then 20% water changes was I removed all my live plants.
The fish were poisoned.. What changes have been happening at your home.. Have you been painting, sprayed for roaches.. Blah blah.. think outside the tank.. Has your water smelled funny recently?

Gar are air breathers it has nothing to do with Oxygen so let's kill that...

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
I will take a quick video of my tank right now and post it up for you. I have two power head filters on the tank, along with a air pumped hooked up to a power head. Water is 80*. They SHOULD have more then enough oxygen.
i saw the other video and i seen the amount of movement on the surface only thing is the amount of chlorine in the water can deplete the oxygen just seems very odd that they would just drop dead all of the sudden. Maybe its not the oxygen in the water something else i agree though they were poisoned.

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
The fish were poisoned.. What changes have been happening at your home.. Have you been painting, sprayed for roaches.. Blah blah.. think outside the tank.. Has your water smelled funny recently?

Gar are air breathers it has nothing to do with Oxygen so let's kill that...

I live in a apartment complex. So, anything that happens outside of my apartment is beyond me. I am just as clueless there, as you are.

however, I also have a 55 gallon tank and a 10 gallon grow out tank. I do all the water changes, the same way in all 3 tanks, at the same time. Not a single fish has died in my other two tanks.

currently in my 10 gallon, I have a 5" silver that I grew from a egg sack. He is as healthy as they come. I also have a 5" red tail shovel nose in there. Also healthy but he randomly lost a eye one day.

I would think if it was infact my tap water, wouldnt these be the most "liable" to go? considering they are young and not as resilient?

uploading video now.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Just a thought (maybe a stupid one I know) but you say the only change is taking the live plants out.
Could it be a ph issue?

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
Just a thought (maybe a stupid one I know) but you say the only change is taking the live plants out.
Could it be a ph issue?

Thats not stupid at all lol i thought the same thing maybe some gasses were released from under the gravel after you took out the plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store