My 3 florida Gars, All dead in 3 weeks...WTF happened?!?!?!

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
there was a recent thread like this...i dont understand the "gas" thing...how could there be trapped gas and how would it get there

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I am assuming you've tested the tank water?

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
I am assuming you've tested the tank water?

no. I have a test kit but no instructions or anything how to do it. In the 20 years I have owned fish tanks, yes I have never tested the water. ha.

tell me how to test it and I will post up results.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Okay, I would stop and get some API test kits tomorrow. The directions come with them and it's very easy to do (take sample, drop liquid in, wait for it to turn color, match to color chart)

Taking the plants out might have dropped your pH way too quick, gars can be sensitive to abrupt shifts from what I recall... also a really low pH could have killed off your beneficial bacteria, triggering a recycle in your tank without you realizing it... also adding tap water might have pushed the pH back up, again a drastic shift, the stress could have killed your gars. If your tank is in some sort of recycle then you might be dealing with high ammonia -- but the other fish should have died off before the gar if this were the case.

Just some ideas... really impossible to tell until you get the water tested. Your other fish could still be in danger.

Agree with Richard though, the three floridas dying off sounds like some sort of external poison or something.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Many jars get very nasty as they start to mature. Did you ever see aggression?

Jockin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2011
ohio
the heater sounds legit... umm no crazy weird parasite problem or somethin like that in the water?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Test both the water from the aquarium and the water from the tap then go from there. Poisoning definitely could be an issue, but let's see what your tests turn up as far as water parameters go before thinking about having your water tested for toxic substances that can't be detected by the test kit (unless you just want to skip to that step). If neither of those are the case, then I'd suspect aggression from either (or both) of the arowana, especially the jardini.

Earlier this year, I lost two Florida gars, some peacock bass, and a marbled pim to what I believe was zinc poisoning. I'm fairly certain that zinc leached through the pond liner that I was using to make an indoor pond out of a large galvanized stock tank thereby resulting in some very noticeable neurological symptoms that manifested in the form of seizures.

Did your gars happen to show any signs of being sick?

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
ok I just took a water test. I tested my ammonia, PH and nitrite.

PH is 7.6. Water is as blue as the blue on the chart

Ammonia is more yellow the the yellow on the chart (6.0-7.0)

Nitrite is light blue. 0 ppm.

tell me what I need to do. I only have the matching charts with my kit. I dont know whats bad or normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store