My 300g CustomAquariums.com tank

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
lol, been so happy enjoying the tank did not update.

Zero issues with the tank, everything is well. I ended up building a short canopy for it and hung a few metal fish cut outs on the wall above it. It looks much more 'finished' now. Will try and get some pics of it soon.

I was very happy with this tank and did order another from them... just much smaller. I did a 65B for my little puffer, this is a 36 x18 footprint. I had to modify the frame a little. I had to cut a large notch out of the aluminum to be able to use an Aquaclear 110. I used my Bosch jigsaw with a fine metal cutting blade and it came out great. Now the filter fits on it. I just got the stand done for that and am waiting on paint to dry/cure before I can set up.

I did make some stock changes... The aggression from the regani got out of hand so I had nowhere to put him so I ended up rehoming him. Sold off my hoplo catfish, rhino pleco and a couple smaller bichir.

So my current stock in the 300g is:
Cichlids:
Perasei 14"
Red Bay Snook 11.5 - 12"
Heterospilus 6.5 - 7"

Bichirs:
Weeksii 13"
Teugelsi 11.5 - 12"
Koliba lap 13.5 - 14"
Dabola endli 16"

Looking to add maybe one fish, maybe one more bichir.

Will try and post a few updated pics.... At work currently and really not supposed to be doing personal stuff on the clock, lol

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Alright here is the final tank pic of it all done. The canopy that is made by custom aquariums is too tall for my liking so I make my own that is much shorter.

New stock includes this guy, a wc Dabola endli from Rehoboth Aquatics

Also added a Koliba lap.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice. Looks good all done.

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
What made you decide to upgrade the thickness on the panels?
This was on my 65B stand. The stand had a weight rating that was too low for the tank. It may have held a 50B max. So I doubled up the uprights with 3/4" plywood that I had in the garage. I figured better safe than sorry since the factory had rated the stand for less weight.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
My tank is from http://www.CustomAquariums.com

Tank is 96" long, 24" wide and 30" tall... just a measly 300 gallons

I chuckled a little when I saw the pointy caps on top of the crates. These are so that no one stacks anything on top of them or puts another pallet on them.

As you can see well crated! Lots of 2x4's used to make the pallet and frame. covered in osb board and padded with Styrofoam. If it did get damaged it really would be from extreme rough handling.

This many screws to get all the side panels off. Screw gun not included... you defiantly want one for this! I actually think there were even more screws than what I took a picture of!

All this support stuff and have not even taken the bottom apart yet! Lots of protection for the precious cargo!

Well here they are... I know, unwrap the tank, we want to see the tank, lol. Patience the pics are coming. As you can see the tank was wrapped in Styrofoam and the foam pad that goes on top of the stand is under the tank to protect it. These guys have done this before! Super protected all the way around.

The tank, with the awesome aluminum frame. Very well constructed with tight seems.

The stand, feel light but more than sturdy enough for the beast.
Very nice panel detailing too!

Good silicone on upright areas, nice thick beads. Very clean looking! Was super happy to see how well done this was.
Very high quality workmanship and pride in their work!

Thick and sloppy on the bottom... still good, we don't want leaks. Im sure Custom Aquariums also does not want to deal with leaks under warranty also.

Side view of stand, very nice simple design. It will do very well with the white shaker cabinets in our kitchen.

Sitting in the garage ready to bring inside

Will add this review:
Dealing with Custom Aquariums via phone and email has been a pleasure. They are prompt to get back with you even with what may seem like dumb questions on my part. You can tell there is a sense of pride in the product they make and that they really care to have you as a happy customer. (Likely also a repeat customer, you know we always want a bigger tank! lol) I dealt with Mike and had multiple phone conversations, emails and through it all was very friendly and knowledgeable.

The tank is custom built and required time to make, I was quoted 12 weeks and sure enough they delivered in that time frame. So I highlight the fact you need to plan this out. Know when you are going to purchase and when to expect delivery.

I choose a pretty standard tank size from their list but pretty cool that they are the factory so if you wanted a size other than the standard you can get it. I have talked with many on forums who wished for something over 24" but not as wide as 36", well Custom Aquariums can handle all that. I really wanted a 30" wide tank but my house is pretty little and just did not have the space so 24" wide it was.

Due to the amount spent, my order qualified for free shipping. This is a BIG DEAL! I had priced out some other tanks online and was quoted $600+ in shipping cost! So yes I spent a lot on this tank but with shipping included it really was worth every penny!

Upon getting my notice that the product was on the way, I was a bit nervous because I had never ordered anything like this before on a freight truck. Well no need to worry these guys do this for a living. Everything arrive in good shape. The items came in on a Fed Ex truck with a lift gate so no issues at all getting it out or in my garage. The driver too was patient and let me open the crates to examine/inspect for damage. Please note this is a requirement to check if you need to make a claim. Don't let a driver push you into signing without inspecting!

Tons of wood, screws and padding were in place to protect the tank, again you can tell its not their first time at this. No issues, everything in good shape, no scratches, dents or broken glass. Joked with friends that with all the wood they used to package this thing, I could have built a shed! Not really, but you see from the pics that it was a LOT of wood used to protect it! With pallet/construction material figured into the price, you really are getting an awesome deal.

I will say this, DO NOT SKIMP, RENT THE SUCTION CUPS! Now that that has been said, rent the suction cups. It may seem unnecessary but I am so glad I did it. The tank was a beast to bring inside the house. Took eight close friends and lots of beer. Remember move tank first, then beer!
http://customaquariums.com/s-6-delivery-moving-kits.aspx#moving-your-aquarium

Going back to the tank, I have to say there is pride in workmanship for sure. The aluminum frame seams were tight and the silicone well done. You can see by the pictures the upright vertical seams are very clean and well done with nice thick beads of black silicone used. I love the black silicone on tanks, if you have never had it you don't know what you are missing. It always looks clean even when you get a little algae on it you cant tell. Ive seen (and owned) some tanks with pretty bad silicone work. What makes me laugh is that these companies put a little tag on it as to who did the work. I really think these guys should be embarrassed to even have their name associated with it. With the Custom Aquariums 300 gallon I did not find any label with a name on it, but they have nothing to be ashamed of, great workmanship and clean silicone on the upright seams!
http://customaquariums.com/c-4-lifetime-aquariums.aspx

The stand too is well constructed with a high quality maple ply being used. While the stand seem light at least compared to the tank, it is plenty strong! Ive always owned black stands but with the remodel to the home and open concept design with the kitchen in view, the wife and I decided on white. This is a very cool option! Not very many companies offer even that simple choice. I also liked the styles offered with a more traditional furniture look or more contemporary. Again choices that a lot of companies do not offer. My current stand on my 210g was pretty sloppy and I ended up reinforcing and doing some trim work to make it look like something that belonged in the house. The majestic stands look nice for sure and don't need to be prettied up to have in the house. Love the fact the surface where the tank goes is one solid sheet of plywood.
http://customaquariums.com/c-9-majestic-stands-canopies.aspx

I wanted the full warranty so I purchased everything to make sure to get this. This included the foam pad for under the tank. This is not a soft squishy foam or a Styrofoam but more of a super dense memory foam. That's the best way to describe it. This helps level out any imperfections and support the tank. A bit difficult the place the giant tank on the foam because it does not want to slide, this is where the suction cups came in handy to lift and move the tank in place on the foam. When I first unpacked the tank I was looking all over for this foam but then realized they put it under the tank for shipment.

Oh if you cant tell from the review, I really have enjoyed the entire experience dealing with CustomAquariums.com and recommend them to anyone wanting a high quality aquarium. Feel free to call or email them, They got back with me quickly on all my questions.
A million times YES this company is top notch! Ordered my 225 and never had an aquarium with such solid construction. Great communication. Local distributor moved my tank from the garage and set it on the stand. Went with the tempered ultra clear.

Reactions: DMD123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store