My 400 Gallon Steel Framed Plywood Tank Build Pentagon Shaped

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
As far as the fumes, yes its pretty bad. Respirator is a must. Unless you like brain damage lol

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
ha think i have done enough damage to my brain.

i picked up a can of plasti-dip going to do a water and poison test of my own.
understand test result would be different on a larger project due to water pressure on product.
so think i may try to waterproof a cardboard box, and see the outcome,if doesn't fall apart from initial spraying of it lol otherwise a small wood box.

and continue with a sacrificial fish test.

good news on the tank though. just found out that the 1500sqft cabana i built this year, the owner owns a custom glass company. so going to put together the dimensions tonight and see what his thoughts are on it. and if need to have a channeled joint to put in between the glass on the 45.
and things are really starting to look like i will be doing the glass installation my self. :S lol

what are your thoughts on glass thickness on a 400g tank?

thanks for all the props appreciate it. and if works i could custom order all the steel you would need to build your own designs. once its put together it does not move. never have to worry about warping, rotting, swelling, movement, absolutely worry free, as long as you do the rest right. but can get more into that later, or if anyone has questions ask :)

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
did not end up ordering glass, he is off to Dominican for the weekend. so hopefully will find out sometime next week on that.

i am currently working on the plasti dip test beer box tank. lol

just finished a final coat. so hopefully will be testing that out this weekend.
i have a bunch of sword tail fry. to test out the new home. word is that it is aquarium and fish safe once cured.

and for now. just going to do cleaning of the tank. hopefully the last one before they go to there new home.
and may cut the plywood tomorrow at work. running the job so hopefully i have a spare moment tomorrow.

would you recommend 5/8 or 3/4 inch glass??

Fishoreel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2011
S. GA
It looks great so far, can't wait to see it finished.

I was wondering about plasti-dip for waterproofing too.
It would be great if it works :)

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
yeah none of those glass calculations or calculators work for my setup. its not a box.
i have 2 45deg corners the glass is joined together ( 26 and 4' (between the two and 26")
im probably just going to go 3/4" glass. but if 5/8" already over kill then i don't want to waste the money.

i will know in next few days if the plastidip will work. throwing water n fish in the beer tank today. so i can clean the swordtails tank. so ill leave em for few days. and see . i think its just a lil joint i missed with silicone that's leaking. but so far i think the plastidip is working. and worked well.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
i just saw my first arowana, everyone been telling me to get one. never thought i would like the fish. but wow they really are gorgeous in real life.
now really thinking about getting one.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
im wondering if i should seal my glass before putting the plywood on. the bottom and back of tank.
ill try to draw up a drawing or take some pictures of what im thinking.

wondering which way i should build it.
as if i do the first one, i do the glass first, as there is more caulking and sealing taking place, for better hold and seal. the strength is now at the lowest part and no pressure from the water to push out, making it a stronger design. i believe anyways.

how does anyone else see that? just something i thought of when i was first doing my drawings and kinda stuck on it. so i might be missing something.

sorry im very weak at explaining what goes on in my head :D

designidea.JPG

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Option A seems to have 3 seams where an accident can happen and option B only has 2. So I would do option B.

But I have never built a DIY tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store