My 720 Gallon Plywood Build

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
P pdandy , thanks! I hope the next one is as cool as this one too. It's gonna be going in my store behind the counter, and have windows on the front and one short side, so you get two different viewing angles. But this is all in the planning process right now..it might just end up being like one of those big ray tanks that people are building that just sit on the ground if it comes to it..but I like the tank in the wall idea best, so I'm gonna run all the logistics I can on that method first

Reactions: sturtzzy and pdandy

harris522

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
michigan
Can you explain the filter better? Is that 2 milk crates stacked on top of each other? What is in the milk crates for media? How many GPH are you moving through that setup?

I like the black looks nice. Gives it a nice clean look.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
harris522 harris522 , yes it is 2 milk crates stacked on top of each other, and that may change as time goes on to 3 crates, but for now the two works wonderfully. It's really very simple on what is in there, just two different sized poly pads to catch debris, ceramic rings under them for bio, and then carbon to polish the water. I used a separate pump specifically for the trickle filter, so I don't have my return pump tee'd off for that, it would be way too strong of a flow and I would probably obliterate the poly pads, haha.

The pump and drain are pushing roughly 3500 gph through the system. It puts it at roughly a 5x turnover rate, so I am happy with that. Black always looks professional. At least IMO

Reactions: harris522

dragonfish1ca

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
alberta canada
Very cool build! Looks very slick and awesome fish. Do you have any more detail on the frame you put in? Or the fiberglass and what you glassed it in with? Did you buy the sheet glass new?

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
dragonfish1ca dragonfish1ca , yes, the frame is simply ripped 2x4's that were glued into place and also screwed into the tank itself. On the vertical pieces, I screwed them into each side iin an alternating pattern. So the top screw is on the front face, and then the next screw is on the short side of the tank about 2" below the top screw. The alternating pattern helps strengthen the corrners of the tank.
The fiberglass cloth I used was 4" wide, and it probably could have been 2" but I'm glad I chose the 4". The epoxy I used to coat the tank, is also what I used to apply the fiberglass cloth. A couple layers thick is usually enough to get a pretty good waterproof seal. Fiberglassing the outside corners will help improve strength better than on the inside, but it won't give you any waterproofing inside.
I did buy the glass new. I tried to find a used or scrap piece first, but in that size, it is hard to find an extra or unwanted piece.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
Big Fish Freak Big Fish Freak thank for your awesome built. i have more questions for you. Where did you order your glass piece? And can you break the cost for us?
Thank again.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
JohnTr JohnTr , I ordered my glass from a local glass shop.
Plywood, 2x4's, screws and sandpaper- $250​
Epoxy, fiberglass cloth, paint brushes and mixing cups- $300
Glass window- $600
Cinder block stand- $40
PVC, Sump, Milk Crates, pumps- $200
-----------
$1390

If you calculate based solely on the gallons of water in the tank itself, it comes out to $1.94 per gallon. If you calculate with the extra water in the sump which technically since it was part of the build so you should it comes out to $1.74 per gallon.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
I didn't saw any of heatting system. Is it hot overthere during the winter?

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
JohnTr JohnTr , Probably the best part about the build is that my garage in the winter, is under direct sunlight, and stays warm, and in the summer, the sun is directly over the back of the house, keeping it cool. It's purely chance that it worked out that way, but it did and I'm glad it did..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store