my 75 gallon project

vass69

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2009
Buffalo, NY
so i'm ready to start the process tomorrow of filling my tank.. can someone quick explain about the damsel thing. when should i add a damsel to help my cycling process?

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
don't add the damsel you don't need to with the live rock your cycle is already in progress don't get stuck with the damsel curse.

mr.reef24

vass69

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2009
Buffalo, NY
okay the tank is filled. sg is at .022.. found a small seal leak on the canister filter but i will just replace the seal.. okay so its filled, live rock is in, as i started to add the substrate i found after the first maybe 10 pounds the tank started to get very cloudy and since then i am almost totally unable to see anything inside it. how long does this take to calm down im getting impatient.. its been an hour and nothing has changed clearitywise. And also what do i need to keep running during the first 30 days.. ie lights, filter, skimmer, powerheads....

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
I'm going to take a wild guess but I would say the filter and skimmer?? then the lights when you are looking at it.

RyanP

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
South
Did you wash the sand before putting it in? If not, its gonna probly be cloudy for a couples days to clear all the way. Wouldnt think theres a need to run the skimmer yet or the lights: keep algae bloom to minimum. You could run the filter and pwerheads to help with the sand clearing up.

vass69

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2009
Buffalo, NY
yeah i screwed up, i didnt wash it before i put he first ten pounds in. i am washing and adding the rest now. I went and bought a new power head, filter and skimmer because the guy that i bought it from never took care of it, so im not taking the chance. i did notice a small clam that was alive on the rock i bought. good start i guess..

vass69

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Here are some pictures from my progress thus far..

before the sand setteled

day 6

What is the bubble shaped plant formation in the middle? Is it good or bad?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store