My Brat pack... lol

turboratt

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2010
earth
hello every one im new on hear but i always go to this sight if i have ne questions on ne thing on my fish will i got a 55gal. all set up and goin good will the outher day i got a fire eel (been wanting one for a long time) but he she has not eatin ne one have ne tips plz and thank u.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Welcome to MFK :welcome:

They often refuse to eat for the first 3-14 days in the tank. Just give it some time to adjust to its new surroundings, then try to feed it again. Also, I hope you realize how big these guys get...

turboratt

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2010
earth
ok than is blood worms ok for her to start with or is somthing better?
and yea i do but as they get bigger the cooler she will look =]

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
turboratt;4522112; said:
ok than is blood worms ok for her to start with or is somthing better?
If it is under 10", then bloodworms will be fine, but past that size it should be fed larger foods like krill, shrimp, earthworms, pellets (if it will accept them), etc.

and yea i do but as they get bigger the cooler she will look =]
I agree, but they also require larger tanks as they grow, eventually reaching 36"+ and requiring at least 180 gallons.

btw, next time you have a question, you should start a new thread in the Eels Forum (I didn't realize before that this was in another thread).

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
what drgn Said.. also try and get it eating asap. live ghost shrimp, live blackworms, live red worms, or Nightcrawlers. frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, or frozen plankton. Try the frozen foods thoroughly thawed before feeding first. If those don't work in the first 14 days go with live. You can also try worm pellets, but these can be hard to find and may or may-not work. Get it eating well, imo 1 month of solid eating and good weight/activity before trying newer foods. They can and will wither away from starvation fairly easy. Once well acclimated they are hearty fish, but getting them over the initial hump is key. Also try hand-feeding it, it will make introducing new foods later on MUCH easier. They lack much for teeth, But can deliver a decent pinch.

And Welcome to MFK.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Pics of one of our newer guys was about 4" when we got him. He's grown about 1" and shows no signs of slowing down. atm in a 10 gal. But soon getting a larger tank. The other one is alot more shy.. this guy is very brave and aggressive.

100_0452_00.jpg

100_0462.jpg

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
MonsterMinis;4572570; said:
Pics of one of our newer guys was about 4" when we got him. He's grown about 1" and shows no signs of slowing down. atm in a 10 gal. But soon getting a larger tank. The other one is alot more shy.. this guy is very brave and aggressive.
yup
here one i was going to get...
eel.jpg

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Yep, the bigger our 2 get the more colorful they are getting. when we first got them they had small spots along the dorsal area.. and "broken lines" that where very evenly spaced along the sides. As they are getting bigger the spots seem to be "appearing" and the lines vanishing. I'm hazarding at their growth rate, That one you show is about 8"-10"? Another interesting thing I've noticed with our dark gravel/driftwood they will darken up like my TT does until they're almost a dark brown, and the spots fade out so they look very plain. But the spots along the dorsal sides are still visible. They also have a true tail unlike my TT and Fires. Not sure if this is a juvie thing or species thing. :D Almost as fun as the fires... I'm trying to find another one yet. so I can hopefully keep a trio like I do the fires.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store