My Chaca Chaca catfish

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Got myself two chacas. One is quite small at around an inch, the other around 2-3 inches. Don’t see this guy on mfk often. I’ve had them for 4 days now.
Done a lot of research before getting them -> Got them for my tank as I’ve had the right conditions: deep layer of sand substrate, wood, leaf litter, rocks to camouflage, in an air con room where temp is 22-23 degrees. Am willing to sacrifice the fish I had initially for these guys, I find them truly fascinating.
I rarely see them, they are truly masters of camouflage. They only come out when the lights are off. kno4te kno4te do you still have yours?

IMG_8291.jpeg

IMG_8294.jpeg

IMG_8298.jpeg

IMG_8319.jpeg

IMG_8339.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don’t have mine anymore. Been some years but glad to see you’re diving into these fish. Look forward to some progression/updates.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Small update. Haven’t been able to check up on them much, I have been enlisted in the army since 2nd Jan and only now was I able to book out. They are doing well, with significantly less live fish than before, good indication they are eating. They love burying underneath the sand, mulm and leaf litter, although I haven’t caught them ambushing at any of the food yet.

IMG_8746.jpeg

IMG_8748.jpeg

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020

just had to share the video. Finally caught it ambushing live prey, caught it on camera as well! On YouTube if anyone wants to watch it strike. Absolutely amazing.
If you observe from my previous post, it has changed colour to a lighter brown to blend/ camoflauge even better with its surroundings, and grown slightly larger.

IMG_9886.jpeg

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas

just had to share the video. Finally caught it ambushing live prey, caught it on camera as well! On YouTube if anyone wants to watch it strike. Absolutely amazing.
If you observe from my previous post, it has changed colour to a lighter brown to blend/ camoflauge even better with its surroundings, and grown slightly larger.

View attachment 1536457
Beautiful little beast! Do they make noises that sort of sound like frogs when held/taken out of the water? I've seen a few videos of them taken out of the water and they grunt and squeak like Raphs.

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Beautiful little beast! Do they make noises that sort of sound like frogs? I've seen a few videos of them taken out of the water and they grunt and squeak like Raphs.
That I don’t know. Never took it out of the water yet 🤣🤣. Guess that’s why they’re called frogmouth catfish too!

• Haha
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store