My Chaca Chaca catfish

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
How many feeder fish vanish a week would you say?

Also is the tanks PH getting lower? I had read that the water they are in has the PH slowly drop from their presence, a very interesting phenomenon if true. Would likely mean their stomachs are especially acidic because I have never heard of another species having that effect.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
How many feeder fish vanish a week would you say?

Also is the tanks PH getting lower? I had read that the water they are in has the PH slowly drop from their presence, a very interesting phenomenon if true. Would likely mean their stomachs are especially acidic because I have never heard of another species having that effect.

I add an entire bag of guppy feeders, maybe once every 3 weeks or longer? Honestly I don’t know how many there are in a bag, but his stomach is constantly full. If I am to guess, he probably eats about 2-3 guppies a night. That’s probably why he’s growing fast, giving him a buffet of endless live food to hunt. You don’t have to feed them that often unlike what I did, I would say you could just feed the catfish once or twice a week and it would suffice. I’m unable to get mine off live food so I have to continue feeding it feeders.

Never really bothered to check the tanks pH levels. I have heard of their acidic stomachs, but never really tried testing that theory before. I do have a test kit, maybe I’ll try testing the water.

Reactions: Omrit

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
He continues to grow, camouflaging genius. Removed the old leaves and added new ones, now it’s back to being black water again. Is it safe to add leaves picked up from the ground if I boil them? Would look splendid in my black water aquarium

IMG_0995.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
He continues to grow, camouflaging genius. Removed the old leaves and added new ones, now it’s back to being black water again. Is it safe to add leaves picked up from the ground if I boil them? Would look splendid in my black water aquarium

View attachment 1537794
Zoomed in on the chaca chaca and it's definitely focused on that guppy 😆

• Haha
Reactions: kno4te

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Zoomed in on the chaca chaca and it's definitely focused on that guppy 😆

here’s the link to the ambush attack. You were right, it was targeting that guppy 🤏

Yes only if area wasn't treated with fertilizer, hazardous chemicals.
I assume that applies for both twigs and leaves? Tomorrow I’ll go find some nice twigs to add to my tank as well 😎

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

here’s the link to the ambush attack. You were right, it was targeting that guppy 🤏

I assume that applies for both twigs and leaves? Tomorrow I’ll go find some nice twigs to add to my tank as well 😎
Yes branches,twigs are fine only if from a hardwood tree such as a Oak tree.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store