My Cheap way to Sw Tanks.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
sweeTang21;1644138; said:
What i did is mounted a 4 fans total on the back of the canopy. Dont even know that they are there unless your looking for them. works well. The next step is getting the stand prepared for the sump and running fans for that as well lol.

are you using the stands for the light or not??
I will not likely be using a sump on this tank, I am a perfectionist and don't want to go threw the trouble of having the tank drilled. as for the stands, the light didn't come with them, so I have a glass top on the tank and the light sits directly on top of it. At least till I can mount the light in the canopy.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
i bought the stans separate. this will help with heat reduction on the tank as well as allow for good ventilation when you get the fans going.

The tank does not have to be drilled to run a sump, just get the after market additions. You have an fx-5 so your fine for power, but canisters will eventually start producing nitrate and then your tank water will start to increase causing bad stress on corals and fish, and cause a lot of algae growth. with that said keep the canister clean to prevent any major build up.

philliptobin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
Dreaco;1639724; said:
With that being said there are tons of ways to do it, and what works for me may or may not work for you. Also before anyone starts flaming, I am new to sw so there may be small errors in stuff, but I also welcome any input as to how I could make this better.
I like the attitude. My only advise is remember "PATIENCE," resist the temptation of adding a lot of new creatures to your tank at once.

Good Luck, and remember what works for them, may not work for you.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
philliptobin;1647674; said:
I like the attitude. My only advise is remember "PATIENCE," resist the temptation of adding a lot of new creatures to your tank at once.

Good Luck, and remember what works for them, may not work for you.
lol, I meant to add that but in the process of getting my attitude I forgot. lol

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
Well guys I figured I would update you on the tank. So about two days ago I made my first real mistake in sw. So heres the story, I was at my favorite lfs and they had a tang that I had never seen before (atlantic blue) so on impulse I bought it, visibly it looked fine and the employee even fed it for me. So I know I shouldn't have bought it being that I don't have a qt tank and I got lucky with my clowns but I did anyway. Fast forward two days and I look in the tank and I could just tell something is wrong.....
it was breathing fast, hiding and had some slime coat build up. So after about 30 mins of research I conclude it is the equivilent of black death.......aka: Brooklynella. So like lightning I set up a hospital tank. Luckily I had the tank and all the equipment not to mention a bottle of quick cure. so an hour later the fish has gotten progressively worse to the point its stopped swimming. Pretty sure I'm going to loose it. I just can't believe how fast this progressed. On a side note my clowns look fine but I am treating them anyway as a precaution. The worse part of it is I have to leave the tank fish-less for a month. I am so bummed now. Guess when the treatment is done I will try to get some extra live rock and just keep the 20 gallon running as a qt tank....lol

oh, and I need some opinions.....as I know the lfs will likely give me a replacement or credit, do you all think I should get another fish and just treat it with my clowns or should I wait?

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Sorry, if you think you can do SW on a budget you are fooling yourself. If you can't afford it don't mess with it.

Some comments on your post:

Dreaco;1640603; said:
So fast forward 6 days and my tank is ready for fish.

Totals
Tank, stand, canopy, light and filter, $650
Salt: $ 17
Water: free
Sand: $40
Rock: $60
Live rock: $20
Fish: $34
Pc light $60
Misc. inverts: free.
Fish food: $15
Hydrometer$15
And due to a small algae bloom $15 for phosphate remover…lol
So the grand total is $926! Not bad, about $30 over my budget.
1) You said you bought 20 pounds of Live Rock "I also bought approx. 20lbs of live rock." so @ $6/pound that is much more than your quoted $20.

2) How did you test to see the filtration had cycled? Test kits are required to determine that the cycle has started and leveled out. Test kits cost money. So either you stocked the tank without testing the water, or you forgot to add in some more money you spent.

3) Water is not free unless you have a private well.

4) Where are your water treatment chemicals? Idodine? Calcium? Yest again more money.

5) Then there is the monthly bills for new salt, new food, new chemicals, etc. etc. etc. 40% water changes on a tank that size without a skimmer is going to be your norm. So that's another outlay of cash you are pretending doesn't exist.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Dreaco;1655213; said:
Well guys I figured I would update you on the tank. So about two days ago I made my first real mistake in sw. So heres the story, I was at my favorite lfs and they had a tang that I had never seen before (atlantic blue) so on impulse I bought it, visibly it looked fine and the employee even fed it for me. So I know I shouldn't have bought it being that I don't have a qt tank and I got lucky with my clowns but I did anyway. Fast forward two days and I look in the tank and I could just tell something is wrong.....
it was breathing fast, hiding and had some slime coat build up. So after about 30 mins of research I conclude it is the equivilent of black death.......aka: Brooklynella. So like lightning I set up a hospital tank. Luckily I had the tank and all the equipment not to mention a bottle of quick cure. so an hour later the fish has gotten progressively worse to the point its stopped swimming. Pretty sure I'm going to loose it. I just can't believe how fast this progressed. On a side note my clowns look fine but I am treating them anyway as a precaution. The worse part of it is I have to leave the tank fish-less for a month. I am so bummed now. Guess when the treatment is done I will try to get some extra live rock and just keep the 20 gallon running as a qt tank....lol

oh, and I need some opinions.....as I know the lfs will likely give me a replacement or credit, do you all think I should get another fish and just treat it with my clowns or should I wait?

After reading this i would say wait. Im almost tempted to ask why you would even suggest getting another fish lol. Some LFS will NOT give you credit on a SW fish but some will. If you get lucky enough to get the credit and they say you have to get something that day or no credit, then i would get a coral or rock or something. The coral itself will not host a disease.

I hope your not adding med's into the DT.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
sweeTang21;1656031; said:
After reading this i would say wait. Im almost tempted to ask why you would even suggest getting another fish lol. Some LFS will NOT give you credit on a SW fish but some will. If you get lucky enough to get the credit and they say you have to get something that day or no credit, then i would get a coral or rock or something. The coral itself will not host a disease.

I hope your not adding med's into the DT.
No I set up a qt/hospital tank. Thats a good Ideal on the corals and rock I need more anyway.

invisyblegypsey;1656092; said:
mite check these guys out i have bin getting some of my stuff from them at a cheeper price than the useule places online

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php
Nice webs site. thanks.

invisyblegypsey;1656099; said:
btw i think i mite have gottin hooked i have a RR 180 and a bare space in the living room great project thanks and good luck!!!!!!!!!
Do it!! Just make sure you take pics and let us know how it goes. Just remember the cheaper you do it the longer it takes!.

oh and btw...rip atlantic blue tang. now the clowns are showing signs :(.

They aren't that bad yet, but who knows how this will turn out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store