My Cheap way to Sw Tanks.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
sweeTang21;1657774; said:
Thats not good, A very good leasoned learned for you though.
tell me about it. I have however come to the conclusion that there is no way it was brooknella. Everything happen too fast. It has to be some sort of bacterial infection. I have since adjusted my treatments.

philliptobin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
philliptobin;1647674; said:
My only advise is remember "PATIENCE," resist the temptation of adding a lot of new creatures to your tank at once.
My guess is that you lost the tang as a result of not having any "PATIENCE." I reread through your tank set-up, and I am not sure you actually got your tank cycled. I have used live sand in combination with about 80 lbs. live rock and still took a month to cycle. The only way I have been able to cut down on the cycle time was to use a used filter pad from an existing saltwater tank then I was able to cut it down to a week. And I am starting to wonder if the buffering capabilities of the product by seachem called “prime” that eliminates chlorine, chloramines, ammonia, and it detoxifies nitrite and nitrate had some carry over giving false readings. What method did you use to determine that your tank had "cycled"?

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
i agree that Prime might not have done what everyone thinks it does. While it may sound great, alot of the time its better to just use pure dechlorinator and let nature detoxify every thing else with fish tanks. Also, i worry that you might have killed the live sand. When putting sand in the tank, you want to fill the tank up with water and salt (dechlorinate it) and then lay the sand in, while still in the bag, to acclimate the bacteria, the same as with any fish/invert.

The tang could have had brooklyella, and as a virus it sucks. We had a maroon clown with it at the store and luckily we were able to save if with fresh water baths for 10-15 minutes. Because it is a virus there is no certain way to rid the fish of it....just keep feeding and keep the water good and clean. So i think if you can, give your clowns a bath so that anything on the exterior is gone and give them a well balanced diet of frozen and prepared foods.

sorry to hear about the tang :(

great idea with the S.W. on a slight budget :), even though with only two fish your over :ROFL:. sorry, couldnt help, s.w. budgets need to be over 1K atleast for anything over a nano setup.

keep us posted with updates!!!

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Did you even post how long you let your tank sit, and howlong was the tank up and running before you added the clowns and coral???

Prime sucks, i never use it. IMO adding a bunch of junk to your tank is not going to be good down the road. I would advise in letting the tank sit fallow for a while. Let all the filters run and keep the water changes going, and keep the coral alive with coral food and what not. Dont add fish for about 4 weeks minimum. If it were me i would wait 6 but again, its only an opinion.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
philliptobin;1660185; said:
My guess is that you lost the tang as a result of not having any "PATIENCE." I reread through your tank set-up, and I am not sure you actually got your tank cycled. I have used live sand in combination with about 80 lbs. live rock and still took a month to cycle. The only way I have been able to cut down on the cycle time was to use a used filter pad from an existing saltwater tank then I was able to cut it down to a week. And I am starting to wonder if the buffering capabilities of the product by seachem called “prime” that eliminates chlorine, chloramines, ammonia, and it detoxifies nitrite and nitrate had some carry over giving false readings. What method did you use to determine that your tank had "cycled"?
Ok, I know prime works, I have used it for a long time on my fresh water fish I have used it on my angel fish fry with no ill effects. I do agree that you will get false readings on the ammonia that is only because its converting it to a different type of ammonia that isn't toxic to fish. As per the bottle. The tank was cycled, I know this because I had the water tested daily, I saw the ammonia, then the both nitrate and nitrite spike, finally returning to 0,0,.05 respectively before I added my clowns.

cjack;1660649; said:
i agree that Prime might not have done what everyone thinks it does. While it may sound great, alot of the time its better to just use pure dechlorinator and let nature detoxify every thing else with fish tanks. Also, i worry that you might have killed the live sand. When putting sand in the tank, you want to fill the tank up with water and salt (dechlorinate it) and then lay the sand in, while still in the bag, to acclimate the bacteria, the same as with any fish/invert.
as for killing the live sand, not likely. I used the type of live sand that is dry but comes with the bio pack which I added several hours after the water was added to give the water time to settle/stabilize.

cjack;1660649; said:
The tang could have had brooklyella, and as a virus it sucks. We had a maroon clown with it at the store and luckily we were able to save if with fresh water baths for 10-15 minutes. Because it is a virus there is no certain way to rid the fish of it....just keep feeding and keep the water good and clean. So i think if you can, give your clowns a bath so that anything on the exterior is gone and give them a well balanced diet of frozen and prepared foods.

sorry to hear about the tang :(
As I stated in a later post it ended up being a bacterial infection, so I adjusted my course of action and am treating with a wide spectrum antibiotic. Thanks for your comment on the tang, it all worked out in the long run, but I will explain that later.

cjack;1660649; said:
great idea with the S.W. on a slight budget :), even though with only two fish your over :ROFL:. sorry, couldnt help, s.w. budgets need to be over 1K atleast for anything over a nano setup.

keep us posted with updates!!!
as for being over, that is kind of true, but kind of not. as I said earlier it could be done way cheaper, it all just depends on what you have available to you. I have no doubts that I could have done it with approx two to three hundred buck, but that would have required months worth of waiting before stocking, I didn't want to wait.

sweeTang21;1660852; said:
Did you even post how long you let your tank sit, and howlong was the tank up and running before you added the clowns and coral???

Prime sucks, i never use it. IMO adding a bunch of junk to your tank is not going to be good down the road. I would advise in letting the tank sit fallow for a while. Let all the filters run and keep the water changes going, and keep the coral alive with coral food and what not. Dont add fish for about 4 weeks minimum. If it were me i would wait 6 but again, its only an opinion.
The tank sat for approx six days fish-less, on the seventh day I added the clowns. By the way the clowns are still alive, and seem to be doing better, one still shows no signs the other has the clear part of his tail missing. That will grow back though. They are eating several times a day which is a good sign. In case anyone wants to know I am treating them with a product called paragon made by a company called first choice. I am using it because I have had really good success treating other freshwater fish in the past with it. The only downside is it takes a double dose for marine fish. As for the feedings, I have been feeding brine, baby brine and spectrum pellets.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
By the way sweetang, I do plan on leaving the tank fallow for a month. On a side note I added my first corals today, approximately a month after set up. I only added them because I got my credit for the tang. My lfs rocks. I got $73.10 credit on a $30 tang. Probably only because the guy felt bad, and it was his last day. Kind of sucks for me though cause he was my favorite employee, good for him though getting a better job. So with my credit I got a coral, some live rock and a bottle of purple up. I will post pics tomorrow of the new rock and corals. I also picked up a used skimmer for $45.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
clown looks pretty thin, how much you feeding and what are you feeding?? I would suggest a good mix of spirulina enriched brine shrimp for greens and some mysis shrimp and flake mix.

nice tank though. Things are coming along. Make sure to post a pic or too in my possible sticky thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store