My Drop Eye Solution, WORKS!

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
WyldFya said:
I'd say we are all ready to try just about anything to keep our silvers from getting dropeye, and this sounds like a better solution than ping pong balls. Personally I thought that looked stupid, big fish with a ping pong ball floating on top. What is it a seal?
or koi

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
everyone can do what they want with drop eye but i never let mine feed from the tank base and i always have subtrate so thier is no costant refection from the tank base and none of my aros have ever had drop eye

wass29

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Illinois
When I had a silver I used to feed him crickets about twice a week. Since I didn't want them to get out I kept the water a few inches lower than normal. I always thought that putting food in there on the surface of the water was more natural thing, but my Aro never had any eye problem's so maybe it served two purposes after all.

Wass

Hasi

Go hard, or go home
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
Australia
Interesting concept. Would love to have a thread continue over years with research done testing these concepts and to put actual facts to print.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i dont think lowering the water level stops the aro from jumping out as if the water is lower the aro has more space to generate power as it leaves the water with the flick of its tail

if the water level is high it has less space to power out of the tank as most of the aros power come from the final flick of its tail as it leaves the water

i just dont under stand why people keep low water levels with aros its mad that they have a tank that could hold 500 gal but only have 300gal of water the more water the better the water condition no sense

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
I have read on other sites to cover all sides of the tank with background or other type of paper. with only about an inch exposed on the top. This will force the aro to look out of the tank through the inch gap you left, and not down.

I have no knowlege if this works or not. Just thought i would share.

Also read that keeping an aro in a pond will help as well. I will be building a pond soon, so i will try this one out for myself.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The pond would make sense as things could fly over, bugs, birds, bats, and the aro would watch them. I still think genetics have to have something to do with it due to the low drop eye rate in other aros.

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
why dont u buy two aro's and put one in a tank and the other in the pond and then u see if genetics or not

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
thefishofdoom said:
why dont u buy two aro's and put one in a tank and the other in the pond and then u see if genetics or not
That would be interesting, I think Rottbo will be able to shed some light on this in about a year when his babies grow up. However, that won't eliminate the genetics, as his are wild caught. But it could prove that a pond will help the aros.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store