~~~my EARTHEATERS down and dirty~~~

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
Anyone that has ever kept this particular species from a small size knows what I'm talking about when I say....... These guys will make you think your feeding regimen is whack, they grow very SLOW!!! BUT, well worth the wait.

They become a very beautiful South American Cichlid and by far my all time favorite fish!!!

Please enjoy this short video! Oh, almost forgot, gonna be the proud owner of about 100 new fish!!!!!!

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9CQYErzO6L0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9CQYErzO6L0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2 (fingers crossed that they make it!!!)

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
japes;2715567; said:
I've actually found them to be quite quick growers, although the araguaia variant do tend to be larger overall as well.

What size were yours when you first got them?

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
Congrats Jamie! Looks like way more than 100 to me, keep the updates coming:popcorn:

IME the youngsters grow fairly quickly until 4" or so, then slow down considerably and start growing in spurts through maturity and adulthood, especially females. I've heard of them growing quite quickly, but under vastly different feeding schedule than mine.

I would call them slow growers, but their fry grow 3x as fast as my S. leucosticta fry, so I guess it depends on what you have to compare them to.

Ed

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
titansfever83;2715575; said:
What size were yours when you first got them?
Mine were doing about 1/2" a month from 2 1/2"-4" until I sold them. Now have a well sized colony of tiny juveniles growing up so I'll let you know how they go.

These are Geophagus sp. 'Araguaia Orange Heads' though, not the Tapajo locale.

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
Nice...Congrats on the eggs. Any idea how to sex them? I may also have a pair! I'm waiting on a tube to drop.

SusieQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2007
Killingworth Ct. USA
Hi Jamie... Congrats:thumbsup::thumbsup: Love the fish and the video.. Maybe this is a sign that 2009 is gonna be a great year for you..:clap Please keep us updated with pics/videos etc. I'm picking up my babies on Sunday.. hopefully they will grow up to be as beautiful as yours and Ed's. Sue:mwave:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store