My failed attempt at a dirted tank

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
Please, a gallon of water is like 8.3 pounds, even moving my little 5 gallon experiment when full would be a bad idea, what I was trying to say was that draining and filling the tank several times until the water is clear is all you need to do to.

coonass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2011
Lake Worth, FL
It looks like your sand cap is too shallow. It is also a good idea to sift the soil first to remove chunks of mood which will float up and disturb the sediment. When I did this, I actually put the dirt into a tote and filled the tote with water to get all of the floating bits out. Let it settle and you will be left with just the soil.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I hope your tank settles ~ this is why dirted tanks scare me....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 looks like my bathtub :D

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Well here's a update cookie. I had started to get amazon fish since this tank is going to be a small biotope. In the process of a water change I forgot to put my little bucket to keep the bed from moving a around and everything got kicked up. I had to do a huge water change and toke out all the soil. I've decided to wait and do it again but do it right next so there's no problems. Whoever it was above that said I didn't have enough sand capping the soil was right and that was my main issues if anything got slightly moved tons of soil got kicked up

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Trial and error is how we learn man! Next time just remember to add AT LEAST the same amount of sand as you do dirt. I generally go about 1 part dirt to 2 parts sand. That way if sand gets displaced from a w/c or if a fish likes to "dig" you won't get muddy water

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
That's for sure at least now I have the knowledge and experience for the future. 2 parts sand to 1 part dirt sounds like a good thumb rule.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Meg411

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2014
Mt.pleasent , Mi
I am also going planted, I put dirt and sand in my tank 2 days ago and it has settled down all most completely. I first did a layer of flora max (tank half full of water) and then put a layer of sand (from mernards) down later that night. I have a sponge filter and regular filter going allong with a airstone. The whole mess cleared up in two days and also I used 2 Tablespoons of Clearwater from "jungle tanks". I hope this helped!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store