My First Big Boy Tank!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Noticed my last electric bill has gone up quite a bit, in usage, for the last 2 months. Only change has been the arrival of the cold season and my additional water changes per week. I'm guessing the big electric usage would have to be the 180. Its set up in the basement where the air temp has been in the 50s, and with 30%+ (cold water only)water changes twice per week, which drops the water temp around 6-8degs, the 3 heaters (800W total)must be working pretty hard. So, I'd decided to try adding warmer water during w/c to see if there will be a significant reduction in my electrical consumption.

Due to some non-standard European manufacturer design, I can't get those Python type systems to fit the threads on those dang faucets. I spent an entire weekend at Lowes' and Home Depot's plumbing dept trying to get different combinations of thread pattern to work, but to no avail. I finally was able to at least tap the washing machine's plumbing to at least fill the tanks.....no more filling the tank by 5gal buckets. I came up with a plan to rig a system that would also get me access to the hot water via the washing machine's plumbing as well. Today, I went to HD and bought my parts. Here's my Frankenstein rig
hose.jpghose2.jpg

The green hose is the "Pocket Hose" and it works great......25' of hose shrivels down to the size and weight of a football when hose is empty of water. I just store it in that shopping bag next to my "rig". That is 3 brass garden hose y-adapters rigged together.
hose3.jpg

Just tried the rig today and was careful not to get the water too warm. The 180 only dropped 2 degrees. I'll have to wait for the next electric bill to see if using warmer water during water changes decreases my electric usage. FYI, my water heater uses propane.

hose.jpg

hose2.jpg

hose3.jpg

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I would certainly think it would drop the electric bill, even if your water heater was electric. Water heaters are usually more efficient than aquarium heaters IME.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would certainly think it would drop the electric bill, even if your water heater was electric. Water heaters are usually more efficient than aquarium heaters IME.
That was my revelation after I got my last 2 electric bill, and saw the 40% increase usage.
I'll find out on my next couple of electric bills.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Looks great the only thing I would do is move the side cross member to the inside so you can cover the out side with 1x6 it would make it look like a more finished.The other thing you can do is find a plastic store that sells sheets of of plastic and have them cut the sizes you need for front and sides and they usually sell Velcro tape,that you cut peel and stick.comes out really nice,so enjoy and good luck Noel all you need is quarter inch or eight,th of an inch thinner is cheaper

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Looks great the only thing I would do is move the side cross member to the inside so you can cover the out side with 1x6 it would make it look like a more finished.The other thing you can do is find a plastic store that sells sheets of of plastic and have them cut the sizes you need for front and sides and they usually sell Velcro tape,that you cut peel and stick.comes out really nice,so enjoy and good luck Noel all you need is quarter inch or eight,th of an inch thinner is cheaper
Tank is a bit scratched up and residing in a dark, unfinished basement. Basically, it isn't a show tank, so how it looks isn't important........especially considering most of the time it is covered by pink rigid foam (for heat retention) anyway.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
how's the big tank doing ?, great built there . would love too see some updated pictures of it :)
1st vid last fall
[video=youtube;voalQFNGP-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voalQFNGP-A[/video]

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
how's the big tank doing ?, great built there . would love too see some updated pictures of it :)
vid from today
[video=youtube;-gHQZBygNss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gHQZBygNss[/video]

Everybody is growing nicely. Lost 1 bocourti after it jumped out of the tank when I wasn't around. Keeping it substrate-free for a while longer....it just so easy for maintenance right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store