My First Big Boy Tank!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This is just me wig scared of 180gallons going every where! By I would add cross bracing on the back and bottom of the stand. To keep it true. And to keep it from twisting at all! But yeah looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
haha check it again

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Tank now in its permanent residency in the basementtnkhme2.jpgtnkhme.jpgglasscnpy.jpg

tnkhme2.jpg

tnkhme.jpg

glasscnpy.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What kind of filter you going to have?

Heard good things about these Aquatop/Sunsun canisters, so I figured I give it a try. This thing is huge! Holds lots of media. So, far I like it so I went ahead and ordered a second one. I'll need to make my own uptake/return out of pvc due to the 2X4 that encases around the tank. The first canister has been running for 2 weeks now. I'll add the second one this weekend.

Ultimately there will be a 55gal wet/dry sump under the stand in addition to the 2 canisters

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The tank is in an unfinished, unheated basement. Temps in the winter gets into the 50s, so I've been thinking on how to conserve heat. I came up with the idea of covering all the glass area with rigid foam insulation. So, last weekend that's what I did.

foam.jpg

Built a canopy out of the foam with left over silicone as the adhesive

cnpy1.jpgcnpy2.jpg

The pvc pipings sitting on that 1st canopy pic is actually what I'll be installing this weekend to replace the uptake/return tubes of my canister filter. Once the new tubes are in place the canopy will sit flush against the top of the tank.

foam.jpg

cnpy1.jpg

cnpy2.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Those ornaments in the tank are actually only in there to help the fishies already in there feel safer. There are 5 little juvies in there right now: 2 severums, a synspilum, a flagtail, and an armoured cat. The canister has 1 tray with ceramic rings that already has established beneficial bacterias along with 2 trays of new ceramic rings. 30% water changes every 3 days. Ammonia level has be just fine. Fishies are doing just fine.

Heat is provided by 2 250w Aqeoun pro. Will be adding a 300w Jager pretty soon, just to be safe. Temp holding steady at 78.

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
dang nice job!!

lando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
fort st john bc canada
Hahha! Well I'm glad you used some cross-bracing! Tank looks good! 2 large canisters and a sump? That's all fine and great but a sump would be fine or the canisters no need for all of that. You reach a certain point of filtration and the rest is just regular water changes!

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Looks good, how did you get the tank in ith that top brace?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
wow very nice............ awesome

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store