My First SW tank

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Nice...I didnt get much done this weekend either...water change on the 125...and tinkered with the eheim on my planted tank. So...next weekend! Picture threads! :D

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Keep up the good work

Cliff519

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Canada
I wasn’t planning on adding my substraight until after I’ve cycled the tank (help prevent algae), but seeing as how I’m going to have to wait at least another week for my live rock, I thought I would add the substraight tonight. I actually started cleaning it last night while handing out treat to the kids. I’m using a finer sand and I’m liking the look of it. After spending hours positioning the powerheads to eliminate all but a few small dead spots, it looks like I’ve created a few spots of strong flow. After putting the sand in the tank, I smoothed it out all flat. After 6 hours, the power heads had gently moved some of it around. It’s kind of cool, almost looks like snow drifts. Now I’m getting some more ideas on how to arrange the live rock when I add it to get the full benefit of the flow. I’ve also added a pic of my sump now that I have everything in place and running.

I also got a Rubbermaid container for extra slat water. I’ve now got 15 gallons in there and I want to have about 20 just increase the ammonia levels get too high during the cycle and I have to change some water. I likely won’t have to worry about cycling with 2o to 25% live rock, but its better safe then sorry.

Cliff519

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Canada
I was out of town for a few days and returned to find a dying skimmer. I think the pump is just warning out and dying. I will take it all apart some time latter on to see if I can fix it. I would be nice to have it kicking around as a back-up or for a second (and much smaller) tank.

I went to our SW LFS today and picked up a Vertex IN 180 skimmer. Got it set-up in the sump tonight. It fits, but it is a tight fit, only a ½” space on either side. I did angle it so the outlet tube is one the other side from the pump. I really need to up-grade to a bigger sump soon. Hopefully I can find a 55 gallon tank I could make into a sump. I figured I didn’t want to be breaking in a new skimmer after I’ve finished the cycle so I bought the skimmer along with my live rock today.

I’ll post pics of the tank with the live rock latter this weekend.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Nice choice on skimmer.

Cliff519

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Canada
Heathd;4608996; said:
Nice choice on skimmer.
Thanks

It was one of five brands I narrowed the list down to. The Vertex was the cheaper choice only because I would have had to order in the other four from the USA and the freight made them much more costly. The store also cut me a break on the skimmer as I also bought all my rock from them as well.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Im a sucker for spray injection at this point, but I am excited to hear what you have to say about the vertex once it gets established.

Cant wait to see this thing grow in. Good work so far man.

Cliff519

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Canada
Finally, I now feel like I'm making progress. I never thought I would be happy to see ammoina in a test result. And only after 24 hours after adding uncured live rock.

I added 26 lbs of live and uncured rock yesterday and a few more pcs of dry rock. That brings me up to a total of approx 120 lbs of rock. After the first day of cycling, the ammonia is now noticeable at .25, 0 nitrites, and between 5 to 10 ppm of nitrate. Once the skimmer is broken in, I am hoping to avoid a big spike in nitrates at the end of the cycle.

I’ll post pics latter today when I’ve had a chance to move around the rock a little more. Still not happy with the layout yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store