My Florida Gar 11+ years.

rc604

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2006
West Vancouver, BC, Canada
Of course it's stunted but at least it's alive and looking healthy. How many people can honestly say they've kept a fish for 11 years?

To the OP: Nice looking gar. Be proud you still have it and it's doing well.

rc.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
nice lol i kept my florida gar for 1 1/2~2 years lol

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Bsixxx;2740903; said:
16-17 inches for an 11 year old gar? is it just me or does that sound stunted like crazy or what?
That is the usual captive size for these fish... You know that.
It is not really stunted at all. Captive conditions are NOT wild conditions and you can not always take these two as the same.

The fish is in excellent condition and shape and it is pretty darn good to see someone hold on to a gar this long. Great respect Bacon and awesome job with the fish :headbang2

Reactions: Jdk and jjohnwm

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Polypterus;2741291; said:
That is the usual captive size for these fish... You know that.
It is not really stunted at all. Captive conditions are NOT wild conditions and you can not always take these two as the same.

The fish is in excellent condition and shape and it is pretty darn good to see someone hold on to a gar this long. Great respect Bacon and awesome job with the fish :headbang2
AH GREED.:D
congratz bro!
and the gar looks great!

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
fishman646;2740888; said:
seems like he should have grown larger in 11 years but congrats!
Yeah, I agree he should be larger. Like I said he was ina 55 for years and I was 16 when I bought him. If I knew then what I know now I would not have bought him and only put him in a 55.

Bsixxx;2740903; said:
16-17 inches for an 11 year old gar? is it just me or does that sound stunted like crazy or what?
Agreed, but he has never been ill and is still very active. I am not sure how old he was when I purchased him, but he was around 9 inches or so.

rc604;2741153; said:
Of course it's stunted but at least it's alive and looking healthy. How many people can honestly say they've kept a fish for 11 years?

To the OP: Nice looking gar. Be proud you still have it and it's doing well.

rc.
Thanks man. Sometimes, I cannot believe I still have him. I think he still has a lot of years left. He gets feeders maybe once a month and mainly eats cichlid pellets.

xander13;2741180; said:
cichlids are bad tankmates for gar
Really? I have never had an issue with it before. I guess I could see the competition for food being a problem.

Thanks again for all the comments. I will post some better pics later.

Reactions: Simonas

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
I have a FG at about 9 inches now. I love the way they stalk. Whay is or are the best tank mates?
Sorry arrowana fans but i don't like them so looking for a different tank mate .
He is just aiming his sights at the next meal

Here he is.....

2009_0203puffman0006.JPG

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
King-eL;2747829; said:
Wow 11+ years old nice! Great job on keeping that gar for such a long time. That gar is like half my age, just the time when I started fish keeping.
Thanks man. Yeah I was 16 when I got him. I am sure he was a few years old when I bought him. I can see him living another 10 years too, you can't kill these fish..lol

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
nice gar man. i hope mine lives that long

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store