My Florida Gar 11+ years.

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Polypterus;2741291; said:
That is the usual captive size for these fish... You know that.
It is not really stunted at all. Captive conditions are NOT wild conditions and you can not always take these two as the same.

The fish is in excellent condition and shape and it is pretty darn good to see someone hold on to a gar this long. Great respect Bacon and awesome job with the fish :headbang2
well now that i think about it..
i was thinking wild specimen size.
still should be around 18" though..:grinno:

JS Nova 72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2005
Ridge, N.Y.
11 years huh? Good fish keeping skills you got there! Nice fish!

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
its amazing to see your commitment. not only have you kept your gar well enough that it has survived for 11 years but you also have remained committed to it and not abandoned it !! hats off mate. good show !

python_13rb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2009
plainview tx
try a good sized pleco to go with it. my 10 in florida loves my 10 in pleco. ne times the pleco comes out the gar swims to it and rubs on it a bit then las down beside it. its amazing, and he looks lonely when the pleco is hiding. im planning on getting another gar when i finish my 180g

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
python_13rb;3008924; said:
try a good sized pleco to go with it. my 10 in florida loves my 10 in pleco. ne times the pleco comes out the gar swims to it and rubs on it a bit then las down beside it. its amazing, and he looks lonely when the pleco is hiding. im planning on getting another gar when i finish my 180g
never a good idea to keep a pleco with a gar; highly inadvisable. plecos are known to unpredictably and randomly suck on the slime of gars, and the gars often do not respond by escaping. damage to the slime coat is very frequently fatal, therefore gars and plecos should not be tankmates--
--solomon

messerchmidt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2008
mississauga, ontario, canada
depends on the pleco. A common pleco maybe, but hmmm....anything smaller the GAR will probably eat. You could put some koi in there. Something big enough so it will not be dinner. Maybe a PACU or larger chilid.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
thanks for all the comments guys. he is still kickin and eating pelletts as we speak. all by himself in the 125 still.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store