My green house for fish

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
I’ve had some people asking what kind of fishes can be all winter outside, here in Portugal. What kind of fishes can be all year in a outdoor pond?

Of course the answer is subjective. It depends a lot on the place, how cold it is in winter, depth, etc… but here is what i've remembered.

Existing fishes in our rivers:
Gambusia holbrooki
Chanchito (Australoheros facetum)
Lepomis gibbosus
Verdemã (Cobitis marrocana, Cobitis calderoni, Cobitis paludica)
Carassius auratus, Carassius carassius
Esgana-gata (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
Salaria Fluviatilis
Fundulus heteroclitus
Gobio gobio

others
Killies
Aphanius mento
Aphanius sophiae
Aphanius danfordii
Aphanius iberius
Fundulus cingulatus
Jordanella floridae
Austrolebias nigripinis
Austrolebias alexandri

Vivipars
Heterantia formosa
Ameca spledens
Phalocerus caudomaculatus
Xenotoca eiseni

Cichlids
Gymnogeophagus meridionalis
Gymnogeophagus Rabdhotus
Herichthys cyanoguttatus
Aequidens Portalegrenses
Apisto.
Commbrae
Apisto. Borelli

Barbs
Barbus semifasciolatus (Barbo doirado)
Puntius conchonius (Barbo rosado)

Anabantids
Macropodus opercularis (Peixe do paraiso)
Betta splendens

Arco-Iris fish
Melanotaenia splendida
Bedotia madagascarencis

Corydoras
Corydoras paleatus

Others
Danio rerio (Zebra)
Tanichthys albonubes
Mogurnda Adspersa

Sturgeons
Some plecs
Some interesting shrimps

If you remember other please tell me.

Perhaps this could help some of you.

Liam, with this list you can, perhaps, chose other fishes.

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
severum1;2535962; said:
I’ve had some people asking what kind of fishes can be all winter outside, here in Portugal. What kind of fishes can be all year in a outdoor pond?

Of course the answer is subjective. It depends a lot on the place, how cold it is in winter, depth, etc… but here is what i've remembered.

Existing fishes in our rivers:
Gambusia holbrooki
Chanchito (Australoheros facetum)
Lepomis gibbosus
Verdemã (Cobitis marrocana, Cobitis calderoni, Cobitis paludica)
Carassius auratus, Carassius carassius
Esgana-gata (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
Salaria Fluviatilis
Fundulus heteroclitus
Gobio gobio

others
Killies
Aphanius mento
Aphanius sophiae
Aphanius danfordii
Aphanius iberius
Fundulus cingulatus
Jordanella floridae
Austrolebias nigripinis
Austrolebias alexandri

Vivipars
Heterantia formosa
Ameca spledens
Phalocerus caudomaculatus
Xenotoca eiseni

Cichlids
Gymnogeophagus meridionalis
Gymnogeophagus Rabdhotus
Herichthys cyanoguttatus
Aequidens Portalegrenses
Apisto.
Commbrae
Apisto. Borelli

Barbs
Barbus semifasciolatus (Barbo doirado)
Puntius conchonius (Barbo rosado)

Anabantids
Macropodus opercularis (Peixe do paraiso)
Betta splendens

Arco-Iris fish
Melanotaenia splendida
Bedotia madagascarencis

Corydoras
Corydoras paleatus

Others
Danio rerio (Zebra)
Tanichthys albonubes
Mogurnda Adspersa

Sturgeons
Some plecs
Some interesting shrimps

If you remember other please tell me.

Perhaps this could help some of you.

Liam, with this list you can, perhaps, chose other fishes.
I think it might get too hot. lately it's been hitting 30 degrees and up. Maybe I might go with some geophagus. I'm not quite sure yet.

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
This weekend I forget my pics machine :(. But everything is ok. The turtles are fine and eating. All fishes are ok and the rays are fine.

The air is cold but sunny. At night the air temperature drops to 4ºC/39ºF. The water temperature, in the greenhouse, is between 18ºC/64ºF and 22ºC/72ºF. Incredible. And the water temperature inside the rays tank/pond is between 24ºC/75ºF and 27ºC/81ºF :drool:. Unbelievable what the sun can do. The plants are huge. We can’t say that’s December inside the GreenHouse :D.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Not to sure how far along you are on your wind generator, but when I went to high school we made a windmill stlye genrator out of a 55 gal drum cut in half long ways and a car alternator. I don't remember all of the details but I was in the 9th grade so if we could do it i am sure you can. Google it up and see what pop's.

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
Mattyou;2564871; said:
Not to sure how far along you are on your wind generator, but when I went to high school we made a windmill stlye genrator out of a 55 gal drum cut in half long ways and a car alternator. I don't remember all of the details but I was in the 9th grade so if we could do it i am sure you can. Google it up and see what pop's.
that wouldn't exactly generate that much power? right?

Yellowlab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Yes, it can be quite powerful. To construct this first build the base (Just a tire, rim and axle. slice the tire open and fill it with concrete. Keep the Axle attached)
then cut/split the 55 Gallon Drum in half (top to bottom) and weld each half to the axle (each half of the 55 gallon drum like a pin wheel to catch wind). It will now freely spin with the wind. Attach a pulley and the alternator. Now you are putting out 85 watts of continous 13.8 volt power. (Not so strong) attach this to constantly charge 10 car batteries and get an inverter that changes 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC. Now you are only limited to the power of the inverter.

Another cheap way to do it, is to take a Lawn Mower. Drill a hole in the deck and mount the alternator straight down. Remove the Blade and attach a pulley then attach this to your car batteries. Same system, but 5 HP uses very little gas. Fill tank when batteries get weak, start engine then go to work. When you get home batteries will be charged and lawn mower will be quiet. Silent power during the night, because it is fully charged when you get home. Not a bad trade off for $1.00 worth of gasoline. it Costs only a few cents to fully charge each battery. 10 batteries fully charged for a buck. $1.00 a day $30.00 a Month Not a bad electric bill. It will not run your house, but it will provide a LOT of power when needed.

Tom@geckolounge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
Netherlands
nl.youtube.com
thank you for this inspirational and still ongoing story!!
I realy love your Australoheros facetum. A friend of mine keeps these in outdoor tanks in the Netherlands ..... together with other cichlids from Uruguay.

The tube heating system you put in between your roof layers is a gem! It would indeed be an idea if you could use the roof of the adjacent house, and put the black tubes on it. This would limit the reduction of light in your greenhouse.

Truly inspiring! I have forwarded this thread to 2 fora in the Netherlands (although it is much colder up north, some freeks are still trying things ;-)

Oh, question: do you offer holiday rentals in your Country House??? :)

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
Mattyou;2564871; said:

I haven’t done much more :irked:. To many things to do :irked:. But :) I’m going to do it next year. A friend gave me a new motor. Better then the ones I have, so I’m going to try with this new one.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store