My Leichardti Growout

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I am not a huge fan of starving and prefer teaching. That is why I crush pellets and mix them with bloodworms. I gradually increase the amount of pellet and decrease amount of bloodworms. The lei is eating this mix and it is mostly pellet now, but still wont touch plain carnisticks. I will try soaking them for a bit before feeding to him, hopefully that will help. I have trained the majority of my pbass and some other aros this way.
stave it then feed it the pellets. There is no point of crushing it to powder.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Chizzle, try this instead. Theres no need to crush the pellets and no need to starve him either.

Your fish is probably eating bloodworms. Thaw a couple cubes of bw in a cup (or run water over them to speed it up) then put some of the melted bw on top of the pellet. Drop the pellet with the melted bw on top into the tank and your fish will swallow all of it bc all he sees are the bloodworms. Keep doing this and gradually decrease the amount of bw until you put none on top.

This teaches your fish to recognize pellets (and things you drop into the tank) as food and gets them used to the taste of pellets. I use massivore pieces bc it smells the strongest and makes fish grow fast ime. Plus its color is similar to bw so they can't distinguish it and makes it more likely they'll swallow all of it.

If you crush the pellets and mix with bw and pour it in, the fish is likely to just pick out the worms and leave the pellets alone. Don't need to starve them because I always use this method and its safer and faster than starving.

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
Arowanas are really easy once they are already established, if you have been feeding your guy for a couple weeks now he's probably use to the feeding schedule just start throwing in pellets and I'm sure a couple of days he'll break

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Damn, all of your methods will make the tank water very messy im a heart beat.

But they do work. I been mixing my pellets with baby superworms and throwing it in the tank together. Finally my aro began to realize that pellets were food also. Plus having other tank mates that eats pellets too was a plus.

Thank god it takes pellets now. So much cleaner and makes life so much easier than to deal with live worms or frozen foods on regular basis. Trust me on this one. Now sw or frozen foods are treats

Just dont give in!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
put hikiri pellets in the tank and pray.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I am not a huge fan of starving and prefer teaching. That is why I crush pellets and mix them with bloodworms. I gradually increase the amount of pellet and decrease amount of bloodworms. The lei is eating this mix and it is mostly pellet now, but still wont touch plain carnisticks. I will try soaking them for a bit before feeding to him, hopefully that will help. I have trained the majority of my pbass and some other aros this way.
Never thought to do that.. I just starve them usually, ill give that a try!

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
I am just going to make this my black arowana trio growout thread as well since the liechardti is in the same tank with the blacks. All three blacks are 16-17" long. Leichardti is most likely 8-9" now that i paid more attention.

IMG_3796.JPGIMG_3800.JPGIMG_3803.JPGIMG_3804.JPGIMG_3806.JPGIMG_3809.JPGIMG_3819.JPGIMG_3853.JPGIMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

Jazmin

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
East Coast
I never knew there was another species of arowanas that was similar to the asian arowana and jardini arowana. btw your black aros look great

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store