My new 2600 gallon plywood tank project

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
"Fillet Joints" - Will this be a curved transition in the corners and sides kinda like a skate board park i.e. smooth, no angles?

I noticed you on some of the "pond" threads. One guy just stacked 2X4's saying this method reduced flex, I would have to agree but at what cost. He was saying the the pond armor, polly resin, fiberglass resin, cannot flex because it's brittle therefor the stacked 2X4 method. Is that a concern for you?

Are you going to use fiberglass on the corners and seems?

That's interesting your going with the 4X4 top. I assume there's a need to get on top for maintenance and what have you. In the articles section, a guy named Black Tip built a 4X4 tank totally fiberglass sealed like a pond liner but out of fiberglass cloth and resin. Something like 6 layers of fiberglass and then coated it with pond armor. He commented how glad he was to be able to get on top of his tank. Also he did not have a leak. The combination of 4X4's and 6 layers of fiberglass I guess. Another guy NolaPete ,I think, never got his tank to fill past a couple feet before it leaked. My theory was after a couple feet the pressure in that tank was too great and his leaks appeared. Still to this day he has not found the leak no matter how many layers of paint he puts on that thing LOL. Now I think he's going with a pond liner (flexible).

I think the fiberglass method becomes something like a pond liner and works independently from the wood structure. The fiberglass might even pull away from the flexing wood at points around the tank but the fiberglass is so strong it never cracks or leaks.

I'm looking forward to your build. Fiberglassing sucks and I hope your tank holds water with out it, if you go that route.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Yeah flex is a concern for me as well. I am assuming there should be minimal flex with this new support structure on top.

My 1500 actually flexed some (around a 1/4") and it's didn't leak. The flex occured from side to side since I do not have any bracing on that 7' span. I think the outer walls of the room are actually stopping it from flexing further.

I've looking into the fiberglass but being a noob I am reluctant to try it. Maybe I will consider asking around locally for someone looking for some side work.

And yeah, "Fillet Joints" - Will this be a curved transition in the corners and sides kinda like a skate board park i.e. smooth, no angles? Curved or just a 45 degree slope in the corners. Will also be adding some mesh tape to the corners as well behind this. It's supposed to be stronger in the long run.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
VLDesign;5137982; said:
And yeah, "Fillet Joints" - Will this be a curved transition in the corners and sides kinda like a skate board park i.e. smooth, no angles? Curved or just a 45 degree slope in the corners. Will also be adding some mesh tape to the corners as well behind this. It's supposed to be stronger in the long run.
I was thinking maybe it's possible to rip the corner of a 2X4 off and glue/screw that piece of wood along the edges of the tank. That would give a nice sloping transition between the floor and the walls and all the corners. Then just bondo the 4 corners where the floor meets the two sides. It would be a nice sort of tub look and probably increase the strength also.

Then fiberglass all the corners, then paint it.......

Yeah I love sitting at this desk coming up with work for someone else to do and spending their money :screwy:

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Going with the new popular stacked 2x4 design. It was only a few hundred dollars more and worth the extra piece of mind that the walls won't flex.

What's been ordered so far:

3 Gallons of Black Pond Armor
(10) 10' treated 2x6s
(33) 10' 2x6s
(33) 10' 2x8s
(120) 10' 2x4s
(9) 4x8 3/4" sheets of plywood
(5) 10' 4x4s

ravensfan73

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Atlanta
Lookin good so far! ill be checking up periodically!

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Sorry, but if it's a concrete room, floor and it'll be a reasonably permanent installation, why not do it in (concrete) block with a little L-bar (steel) framing the acrylic?
No flex & nice and easy to seal. To put it over a plastic sheet (or spray-on barrier) you will be able to sledge it off the floor if you ever get bored.
Some risk in destroying your house if it has a slow/seep leak, but that seems a small price to pay ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store