My new 2600 gallon plywood tank project

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Considered a concrete tank but it's harder to work with. Besides the woods already been delivered.

Bad news is I can't start on this now until after June 9th. Having some cracks in the basement sealed up to prevent any potential future leaks. Better safe than sorry when it comes to a finished basement.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
OK, Windows are here, DOW silicone is here, Wood and screws too, Just waiting until the 7th to begin the work.

One thing I think I have decided on is the new filtration. After much thought I think I am decided on an Ultima II 6000 filter by Aqua Ultraviolet powered by dual Reeflo Barracuda/Hammerheads (Running in parallel) which will produce around 6500 gallons per hour. Filter is designed to handle 600 pounds of fish and 6000 gallons of water. Should be more than enough to handle everyone and still give me almost 3x turnover.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
OK, Windows are here, DOW silicone is here, Wood and screws too, Just waiting until the 7th to begin the work.

One thing I think I have decided on is the new filtration. After much thought I think I am decided on an Ultima II 6000 filter by Aqua Ultraviolet powered by dual Reeflo Barracuda/Hammerheads (Running in parallel) which will produce around 6500 gallons per hour. Filter is designed to handle 600 pounds of fish and 6000 gallons of water. Should be more than enough to handle everyone and still give me almost 3x turnover.
I like your choices of filter and pumps :)

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Running through last minute options and I am getting mixed opinions on what to do with the back wall of the tank that will rest against the concrete.

Question is should I use a plastic (4mil) vapor barrier between the concrete and the lumber to keep moisture away from the backside of the tank.

The lumber will be sealed with the epoxy anyways on the other side so the logic here would be to make a sealed wall that can’t trap moisture from either side.

The bottom of the tank will be open and any moisture under there should be vented with normal air flow anyways.

The bottom plate is PT wood but I didn’t think to use PT wood as the back walls so I don’t have that on hand.

basement.jpg

basement.jpg

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
I would defiantly seal the basement wall to prevent moisture from killing the back wall of the tank. I would not use a plastic sheet though I would use a paint on sealer designed for basements. There are a lot of products that all do this and you can take your pic based on price and coverage. I would also point a small fan back there to get air flow to prevent mold and water damage to the tank.

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
I think this is going to be awesome, only thing I would personally change is the width from 50" to 72-96". Overall I think you would be way happier in the long run.
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store