Tennessee,USA
Nice pond and koi! :thumbsup:

tugo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Istanbul-Turkey
Thank you all for your comments.
I know it is a simple and not sophisticated pond. Easy and cheap to do.

Does not have a skimmer but it takes less than 5 minutes every day cleaning the surface by self made pantyhose hand skimmer.

Also no bottom drain but because the pond bottom has inclination and all the debris get collected to the deepest part and easy to suck out.

The aeration is made by the waterfall and by a simple aquarium pump added on the hottest days.

Also liner is much practical than concreate and other stuff, in my opinion, because if something goes wrong you can easily replace or just lay another one on the previous.

But a nice bog filter would be very nice if I had some more place.

Pond+lilies+rain is another beauty
rainb.JPG

LemonHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2007
Nice shot of the rain and lilies.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Coming along real nice. The pond has reached a balance (clear water now) with all the plants and fish. Don't worry if in the fall and again in spring, the pond has a litle more than usual algae. It is a normal cycle and once the water temp. raises, things will balance out again. The Thalia is a great plant. Is it hardy for you? Where I live it dies each fall, so I have yet to plant it. The Papyress is also a great plant. It grows very fast and helps remove waste in the water. I have a false version called Umbrella Plant and it needs to be trimmed each year, or it would take over my pond. This is a pic. of it. It was half the size it is now 3 months ago.
Nik's Misc. Pics. 172.jpg

tugo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Istanbul-Turkey
Dear Muske, I agree with you on the natural balance of the water. All I need is some more aquatics but they are very rear here. Bought several seeds from abroad and now I will try to grow from seeds.
As mentioned my umbrella was indoors for many years but it is ok now outside also Thalia did not face the winter yet, supplier told me that I can keep it in the water during winter, but summer was very difficult for it, although did bloomed quite alot, so much sun was too much for her.

I wonder really to see the 4 seasonal situation of the pond and next May I will allready be survived all the experiences and my knowledge will be more compact. Thanks

tugo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Istanbul-Turkey
Muske;2131908; said:
It was half the size it is now 3 months ago.
View attachment 244726
But also you are rich of nice plants and have a nice habitat. Very nice.

Since my pond edge is also not covered with plenty of plants, the summer sun hits too hard. During august all the water lilies gave away the large leaves and start having smaller leaves, in order to protect themselves (in my opinion).

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Any local waterways you could "collect" native species?

tugo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Istanbul-Turkey
Muske;2132104; said:
Any local waterways you could "collect" native species?
:mad::mad: all natural waterways around this city exist no more, now they are housing waterways:mad:. Have to drive far far away, but thanks that is an option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store