MY PUFFER IS PUFFED UP FOR NO REASON!!

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
I have been seeing alot of people saying that they have great filtration so their water parameters should be fine. All your filter does is take ammonia and turns it into nitrates. Which means it does nothing for nitrates;)
Get a test kit and change the water till it gets down to about 10ppm nitrates and check it again in a few days, by doing that you should get an idea how often you have to change the water and how much water to change.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Mysticshadows3;4247902; said:
Sorry. Got caught up in life. Didn't change the water. I got back from a long vacation and finally had the time to do a water change and I didn't want to shock the fish. Just never mind.
Its not just never mind...

At least you now know why there are recommended tank sizes. Its not always for swimming space, it really plays a role on water quality which is almost twice as important. I have my tanks set up so i can go months without touching them and pour 2lbs a day in them. Maybe some upgraded filter equipment and better understanding of your water quality is needed. Don't take this the wrong way but, people here really look out for the fish and are really dedicated. Lets get this puffer in an appropriate size tank, with correct filtration. Also you should purchase a liquid test kit so you can become familiar with your water and see what feedings do to your water and how long you can wait before changing the water. That puffer's life is in your hands, and he can't thrive by himself.

So he is in a thirty gallon, with HOB filters i am guessing?

Post some pictures of his home and set up and we can get everything right back on track and make sure he is good and healthy ;)

O make sure you did that 50% water change. Anything over 30, it doesn't matter, 50% change. Don't worry about stressing, because he is slowly dieing and being burned to death with water like that, so stress is nothing.

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
oh wow. geeze. well. he was free. he as going to die if I didnt' take him - and a 30 gal. is all i had. I will have a 90 gallon soon and if he survives then hooray I saved his life and if he dies than uhm well he was going to die anyway because he is deformed and no one wanted him.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Mysticshadows3;4248043; said:
oh wow. geeze. well. he was free. he as going to die if I didnt' take him - and a 30 gal. is all i had. I will have a 90 gallon soon and if he survives then hooray I saved his life and if he dies than uhm well he was going to die anyway because he is deformed and no one wanted him.
... I specifically buy injured fish to give them what they where robbed of, a good home. That mindset isn't what most people have here, they are actually the opposite. Maybe passion for the fish, and not just the hobby will eventually come.

iPhone Aprill 20 021.jpg

iPhone Aprill 20 102.jpg

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Mysticshadows3;4248142; said:
That's really beautiful.....
Her name is Ponyo, my girlfriend rescued her from dallas north aquarium as a "rescue fish". She is beautiful, and such a curious little thing. She puts a smile on my face every day, and is truly a strong fish. The personality she displays is incredible, and she really sends the message that even if you have it ****ty, putting a smile on some one else's face is the best thing in the world. :headbang2

maybe i look a little to into my fish :screwy:

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
TheCanuck;4248287; said:
Her name is Ponyo, my girlfriend rescued her from dallas north aquarium as a "rescue fish". She is beautiful, and such a curious little thing. She puts a smile on my face every day, and is truly a strong fish. The personality she displays is incredible, and she really sends the message that even if you have it ****ty, putting a smile on some one else's face is the best thing in the world. :headbang2

maybe i look a little to into my fish :screwy:
No no I know what you mean....I do the same thing - that's why it hurts so much when I lose a fish - I am such a bad fishy parent : (((((

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store