My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well it's finally here lol. My wels has went on his first hunger strike. Although I'm not worried at all about it as I'm sure it will pass in a week or two. I did take it into consideration and went through all the possibilities as to why it would happen. Weather at my house has been weird. Very hot 115degreese+ the humidity has been really high with the occasional rain and the pool pond got to a whopping 88 degrees. I've since cooled it down over several days to a manageable 80 degrees. I've also slacked on a weekly 50% waterchange. I skipped a week so that could have a factor as well. I've also started to feed him more frequently and I'm under the impression that he would rather eat two or three times a week as opposed to every other day. He seems to take NO interest in the food and pretend it's not even there. I fed him two days in a row pretty hefty meals and bam the hunger strike has started. Maybe it's time for a big growth spurt or maybe he is just being moody. Either way I just thought I would share.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Certainly sounds moody, maybe it is this whole big shift of temperature that has put him off?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for sharing, Michael. Much appreciated.

I think another way of looking at it is that the wels might have overfed just as you state and now needs the time to pass all that feed. Not necessarily a hunger strike yet.

FWIW the temp in my wels tank is 88+ F for 6-7 months out of the year. Right now too.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Long time since I've updated, but here is little shot of a feeding I did tonight. Still same old same old. Wels is doing good. Getting a little more bold with me and will hand feed now although it's scary lol. In this video he is eating smelt in the 4-6" range. Might have to wait a bit for the vid to go into higher quality I just uploaded right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store