MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Long post ahead! But any help is greatly appreciated because I seriously have no idea what to do at this point.

My brother and I are both having problems with some newly bought juvenile angelfish. He has 8 (4 from person A, 4 from Person B). I have 9 (4 from Person A, 5 from Person B) in our own tanks.

He is intending to keep all 8 of his/a pair, I am intending to grow mine out to resell once they reach 2-3 inches.

We bought them all on the same day and added them into our tanks on the same day. The ones from Person A are doing fine, perfectly healthy, aggressively eating and acting as normal angelfish should. But the ones from Person B have been odd since the start.

My brother fed his tank on the first day because he has corydoras in there and needed to feed them, all of his were eating fine. Those from Person B were a bit more reluctant to eat but still eating.

For my batch I fed them on day 2, the 4 from Person A were eating aggressively. 2 from Person B tried to eat but kept spitting out the food, 3 were eating reluctantly but still eating. Thought maybe they just weren't used to the new food/environment yet so didn't think much of it and continued to offer them different food options over the next few days. Some had white portions/completely white poop though but I wanted to give them at least a week to settle in before I put more stress on them by medicating.

By the end of Week 1, the feeding habits of those from Person B still had not changed except for one of the reluctant eaters now showing zero interest in food. Over the next several weeks I tried praziquantel, metronidazole and levamisole (separately, not all at once) since it seemed like a typical internal parasite issue (refusing food, white stringy ****, now sunken stomach for the one that stopped eating).

Oddly enough the one that stopped eating completely came back after the treatments as a voracious eater but 3 of the 4 others did the eat and spit (no eating) and the 4th one still ate aggressively.

We both have things to block line of sight (plants, large pieces of driftwood) and feed in at least 2 areas so we're prepared for aggression. So far that hasn't been an issue, the angelfish actually tend to stay in groups (normal at this size).

Our water parameters have largely been consistent over the weeks. These are what they roughly were.

Brother's tank:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5 (surface covered by water lettuce)

My tank:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-20

These are the symptoms observed over the several weeks:
- Slow to eat/biting but spitting out food/completely not showing interest in food

- Part white part regular poop/white stringy poop/white thick poop

- Shaking head (not the usual display shaking)

- Flicking ventral fins against body

- Darting forward (usually in conjunction with flicking ventral fins)

- Losing colour on top third of body (only on one fish)

- Swollen vent (only on one fish)

- Listlessness (on that one fish that stopped eating but is now eating aggressively after treatment, no longer an issue but thought to include it to give as much info as possible)

Now at this point the one that was an aggressive eater in my tank all along is starting to eat reluctantly, sometimes doing the eat and spit and only eating a few pellets. Part of its colour near the dorsal fin has turned a pale white. The one that recovered and became an aggressive eater is still eating well. The other 3 are still doing the eat and spit.

In my brother's tank 3 are the doing the eat and spit, I noticed one had a strange vent (swollen on one side) and was not eating. I tend to watch each individual fish of mine more closely than he does his, so I have no idea how long that fish has had it. I put down that fish today as it seemed that after one round of levamisole there was still no difference and it had continued to get worse (swollen open about 1cm width). It was just not ethical to continue to let that fish suffer in hopes of finding some way to treat it.

I have pictures of its vent that I took while it was in the container I put it down in. The pictures are quite nasty so I will only post them if they will help and add a trigger warning.

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
TLDR: Sick juvenile angelfish from one seller (Person B). Other seller (Person A) angelfish perfectly fine.

Person B angelfish in my tank at end of Week 1:
1 - Not showing interest in food

2 - Biting but spitting out food

3 - Slow to eat

4 - Slow to eat

5 - Slow to eat compared to Person A fish but still eats slightly faster than the other 4

Did use praziquantel, metronidazole, levamisole over the weeks.

My tank now:
1 - Aggressive eater

2 - Biting but spitting out food

3 - Biting but spitting out food

4 - Biting but spitting out food

5 - Bites and spits out food but will eat occasional pellet. Pale white colour on top third of body

Brother's tank has one with swollen open vent, did one round of levamisole but no improvement, put it down because it was so bad. Have pictures but graphic so will post only if they might help.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Pics would help. Do you see tiny worms hanging out the vent…especially in the swollen one? If so, could be camanallus and levamisole would do the trick but you have to do two treatments, 2 weeks apart. The second treatment is to kill off any newly hatched parasites from the eggs that resisted treatment the first time.

If it’s not camanallus, then prazi should work but again, you’ll have to do a full treatment with several rounds.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Agreed you need 2 or more rounds of levamisole (and that goes for most internal parasite meds).
Pics of the vent and fish themselves would help a lot. The symptoms sound like textbook internal parasites, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Do you know if these fish were wild caught? Internal parasites tends to happen pretty frequently in wild fish.

Reactions: Oompaloompa

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Pics would help. Do you see tiny worms hanging out the vent…especially in the swollen one? If so, could be camanallus and levamisole would do the trick but you have to do two treatments, 2 weeks apart. The second treatment is to kill off any newly hatched parasites from the eggs that resisted treatment the first time.

If it’s not camanallus, then prazi should work but again, you’ll have to do a full treatment with several rounds.
Thank you for your input I'll post the pics!!

At the time this post was made, it was 2 days after their second round of treatment with levamisole (2 weeks after the first one). I will do another 2 treatments of levamisole if it does look like internal parasites! For my brother's tank it was one week after their first round of levamisole. There aren't any worms sticking out from the vents of any of the fish unfortunately making it harder to diagnose ?

Those in my tank have already completed 2 rounds of praziquantel (one more to go) and a full treatment of metronidazole (I normally don't use that but because some weren't eating I couldn't use the epsom salt in food).

For wild caught fish/those showing symptoms of internal parasites my normal protocol is 3 rounds of praziquantel (second dose 2 weeks after first, third dose 1 week after second dose so 3 weeks after first dose as I have heard people say to treat repeat treatment in a range of 1-3 weeks after so this covers all bases) and 4 rounds of levamisole (knowing how stubborn camallanus is and that it's possible to miss some worms when gravel vacuuming). I usually do one at a time (finish all levamisole treatments then do praziquantel next) over a period of 3 months with 5 days of feeding food soaked in epsom salt thrown somewhere in there, but the condition of some from this group seem to be going downhill and I got desperate LOL

Reactions: Deadeye

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Agreed you need 2 or more rounds of levamisole (and that goes for most internal parasite meds).
Pics of the vent and fish themselves would help a lot. The symptoms sound like textbook internal parasites, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Do you know if these fish were wild caught? Internal parasites tends to happen pretty frequently in wild fish.
Oops should have specified in the post!! I have already done 2 rounds of levamisole, 2 rounds of praziquantel and fully completed a treatment with metronidazole as directed for seachem metroplex for my own tank. My brother's tank has had one round of levamisole one week prior to this post being made. I intend to continue with praziquantel and levamisole but I'm wondering if I'm treating for the right thing?

The symptoms really do make it sound like internal parasites but white poop could also be from not eating and some of the symptoms could also be indicative of an internal bacterial/viral infection. Only one fish has gotten better with treatment and that was after the first round of levamisole, the rest from person B have continued to decline. I'm wondering whether something else is also going on? Or if I should focus on just treating the internal parasites?

Internal parasites definitely do seem to at the very least have a part in the symptoms displayed since levamisole had a drastically positive effect on one of angelfishes so I guess I should still continue to treat for that?

To my knowledge they aren't wild caught, but if I'm not wrong their parents were! I'll check with the seller on this! Thank you!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Sorry for all the long posts! I'm seriously scratching my head on this and am so worried for them.

Here are the pics for the one that is losing colour in the top third of its body! The black spots on the pale areas aren't normal either

IMG20220708180944.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-08-18-17-29-41.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-08-18-18-13-33.jpg

IMG20220708190630.jpg

IMG20220708191424.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-08-20-01-32-38.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do you feed mysis shrimp? That can cause white poop.
It wouldn’t hurt to treat for bacterial infection given that the worm medicines aren’t being effective.

Reactions: Oompaloompa

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
❗TRIGGER WARNING: Graphic Images

Multiple images of the one with the swollen vent from different angles and one of a small white portion on its tail that also has a small hole in it.

I have no idea what that large thing hanging out is, whether its poop or something else. It recently developed some small white strands on part of its vent, but not sure if they are worms or fungus. They developed within the past few days, they weren't there before the levamisole treatment.

IMG20220708153527.jpgIMG20220708153542.jpgIMG20220708153829.jpgIMG20220708153844.jpgIMG20220708154001.jpgIMG20220708154241.jpgIMG20220708154343.jpgScreenshot_2022-07-09-05-36-24-97.jpgScreenshot_2022-07-09-05-38-48-10.jpgScreenshot_2022-07-09-05-42-37-71.jpgScreenshot_2022-07-09-05-42-56-36.jpg

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Do you feed mysis shrimp? That can cause white poop.
It wouldn’t hurt to treat for bacterial infection given that the worm medicines aren’t being effective.
I don't feed mysis but I did feed frozen brine shrimp at the start! I stopped feeding since the ones that aren't particularly interested weren't really eating it anyway.

Should I continue with the worm meds while treating for the bacterial infection? I've been hesitant to throw in antibiotics without being certain that it's a bacterial issue but I guess it's really hard to say in this case and I should just try it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store