Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
EDIT to symptoms:

These are the symptoms observed over the several weeks:
- Slow to eat/biting but spitting out food/completely not showing interest in food

- Part white part regular poop/white stringy poop/white thick poop

- Shaking head (not the usual display shaking)

- Flicking ventral fins against body

- Darting forward (usually in conjunction with flicking ventral fins)

- Losing colour on top third of body (only on one fish)

- Swollen vent (only on one fish)

- Listlessness (on that one fish that stopped eating but is now eating aggressively after treatment, no longer an issue but thought to include it to give as much info as possible)

- Flicking an*l fin and wriggling? lower part of body. Usually done together with flicking ventral fins against body. I think they've been doing this for quite some time too but didn't really know how to describe it until I saw multiple doing it again today

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That doesn’t look good. Looks like they’re suffering from septicemia. Could be bacterial or viral. Not much you can do if viral but if it’s bacterial, you need to keep the water clean, lower temps a bit, and try an antibiotic

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
kno4te kno4te
Rocksor Rocksor

Reactions: Oompaloompa

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Dose some metronidazole (better eaten but can dose to the tank) and kanamycin to the tank. Keep water clean and nitrates below 20ppm. Are these wild or cb?

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
That doesn’t look good. Looks like they’re suffering from septicemia. Could be bacterial or viral. Not much you can do if viral but if it’s bacterial, you need to keep the water clean, lower temps a bit, and try an antibiotic
Thank you! Do both the fishes posted look like they have septicemia? Or only the one with the swollen vent?

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Dose some metronidazole (better eaten but can dose to the tank) and kanamycin to the tank. Keep water clean and nitrates below 20ppm. Are these wild or cb?
Alright thank you! Do I continue treating with praziquantel and levamisole?

Also I've heard back from the seller! He got the parent fishes from a local shop so he doesn't know if they were wild caught or captive bred. I'm assuming captive bred though because usually shops will label if the fishes are wild caught

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
At this point, it is all a guess based on the pics and info you provided. Seeing how the skin is sloughing off in certain areas, red streaks, the big ulcer, and various other descriptions, my guess would be septicemia but again, there’s no way to be sure without a skin scrape and a trained eye to examine it under a microscope.

You should research septicemia: here are key terms viral/bacterial/hemorrhagic septicemia. Not much you can do if it’s viral but if bacterial, you can try Furan 2 mixed with Kanamycin at full dose and super clean water.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Alright thank you! Do I continue treating with praziquantel and levamisole?

Also I've heard back from the seller! He got the parent fishes from a local shop so he doesn't know if they were wild caught or captive bred. I'm assuming captive bred though because usually shops will label if the fishes are wild caught
I’d stop the praziquantel and levamisole for now.

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
At this point, it is all a guess based on the pics and info you provided. Seeing how the skin is sloughing off in certain areas, red streaks, the big ulcer, and various other descriptions, my guess would be septicemia but again, there’s no way to be sure without a skin scrape and a trained eye to examine it under a microscope.

You should research septicemia: here are key terms viral/bacterial/hemorrhagic septicemia. Not much you can do if it’s viral but if bacterial, you can try Furan 2 mixed with Kanamycin at full dose and super clean water.
I see thanks! So I should try treating all the angelfishes with nitrofurazone and kanamycin or just the ones in my brother's tank where the one with the swollen vent was?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store