Need 8-10" cichlid ideas

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I found them to be very shy and hid except when guarding fry, and killing tank mates.
They are not a domesticated species like oscars, or even as domestic as dovii.

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
Thanks for the feedback on the grammodes; Ive read they are either like you stated skittish or just flat out psycho. My luck Id get one I never saw so I think I will forgo them even though they do look pretty awesome.

I have decided that my A.siquia Rio Tempisque male will be getting one of the tanks. He is becoming a real dick to my Syn and Id like to give him his own space as he is actually quite an impressive fish. I will probably order a female from Rapps and get her established prior to moving him in. I will most likely do some largeish barbs for dithers.

Now for the remaining 40G Im not sure what Ill do....someone on another forum suggested a female Festae. I have also thought of an EBJD or just a nicer bred regular JD. Still thinking of a solo fish with personality.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I don't think a female festae is a good idea, they're virtually impossible to sex at a young age. You'd be putting a mature female in a 40 gallon, or a male that will definitely outgrow that tank. Get a 75 and one of the smaller parachromis species

Reactions: ehh

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks for the feedback on the grammodes; Ive read they are either like you stated skittish or just flat out psycho. My luck Id get one I never saw so I think I will forgo them even though they do look pretty awesome.

I have decided that my A.siquia Rio Tempisque male will be getting one of the tanks. He is becoming a real dick to my Syn and Id like to give him his own space as he is actually quite an impressive fish. I will probably order a female from Rapps and get her established prior to moving him in. I will most likely do some largeish barbs for dithers.

Now for the remaining 40G Im not sure what Ill do....someone on another forum suggested a female Festae. I have also thought of an EBJD or just a nicer bred regular JD. Still thinking of a solo fish with personality.
Those A. Siquia are much more aggressive sp. than a syn. Expect aggressive, territorial cichlids to get aggressive in less than ideal conditions. Sometimes even in large tanks people have issues if not comparable sp.
No way will a festae ever work out in a 40g. A female JD might be ok, but IMO a 8-9" fish will not work out in a 40g.

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
Only way I would trust getting a female Festae at a subadult size would be from Rapps; I know he typically vents them and gives you the best guess possible. Even then Im not sure the space would be adequate long term. I know females typically max around 9" but it is pushing it a little farther than Id like.

The Siquia/Syn combo worked very well and is still okay, no damaged fins/scales etc. My Syn is a very aggressive (for a Syn anyway) female who had to be moved out of an acquaintance's large display. Once on her own she became very shy so I tossed the Siquia in with her and it has worked very well. The Siquia is just now able to claim 1/3 the tank and wont let anything in "his" space. I want to move him out before any real problems come up.

Oh nice, and thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at Flier Cichlids in the past. They are certainly a cool species which I have never kept.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Have you ever seen an adult female festae? The space will not be adequate long term. Please don't do that lol.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with ehh about a 40 gal being too small for a female festae.
The only Central Americans I would put in a 40 gal would be Crytoheros nanoluteus, multispinnossa, or Honduran Red Points.
Anything else like like keeping a great dane in a tiny bathroom 24/7.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Cuban cichlid. Bonsai flower horn or 5 star generals or red jewels. Tropheus bemba, duboisi or ikola. A few I would consider, obviously the later being African.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store