need advice on getting my datnoids to eat pellets

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
Okay so when i first got my datnoids they were eating tetracolor stuffs and the arowana would be eating the hikari stick. Right now Im trying to get both my datnoids and arowana to go on hikari cichlid gold sinking/floating pellets. They wouldnt eat it, so i let them starve and its been 3 days already and they still would not eat the pellets. But once i threw a raw shrimp in its like they would kill eachother for the piece of shrimp. So i tried to stuff the shrimps they would just stare at the shrimp and not eat even with the pellets sinking down. there are times where the pellet just land on the head and bounce off and they still wouldn't eat it. HELP its making me sad.

btw: I have total of 5 datnoids and only one datnoid will actually eat the cichlid gold sinking and he would go crazy for it.

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
for me... out of the 6 baby indos i had. only 1 took pellets and blew up quick while the others were tiny. still on tilapia. try stuffed tilapia. thats how i weened the indos off.well atleast 1. also smaller the tank the better. if you have any other dither fish. those help to. i had the 2 indos i had (left) with yo yo loaches and made the indos come out in front of the tank. plus they ate pellets so monkey see monkey do.

But this is my opinion.

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
hmm ill try stuffed tilapia tomorrow to see how it goes. i have 2 clown loaches in the tank too but the datnoids just hangout next to the loaches and watch them eat the pellets on the ground.

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
They really are.. my datnoids alway go to the side of the tank to wait for food but they still won't eat.

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
When I was pellet training mine I stuffed shrimp with pellets or soaked the pellets in bloodworms since they liked them.

Reactions: MorningStar

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
how did you soak the pellet in with the bloodworm? did u just throw the pellets in first then the bloodworms? i tried stuffed shrimps it was a faile

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Thawed out the bloodworms in a small cup with some water then put in the pellets gave it a few minutes to soak up the juice.

Reactions: munchie

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Just remember training Dats to eat pellets won't happen over night I had one take a week and some take 4 months.

Reactions: munchie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store