need advice on getting my datnoids to eat pellets

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
thanks! ill keep that in mind, i just want the datnoids to at least have a taste of the pellets in their mouth at least.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Teacher fish work well too, silver dollars and tinfoil barbs come to mind, just any fish that's a greedy feeder, the dats will see this and take the hint, eventually, they can be stubborn little aholes, but they won't starve to death, just don't break, they will break first.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
When traning mine to take pellets I got them hand feeding bloodworms to start with, then I would defrost a block of bloodworms, crumble a small amount of a massivore pellet in to it, then refreeze it, then hand feed the blood worms with massivore in it.

I gradually increased the amount of massivore to blood worm ratio until it was more massivore that it was eating then blood worms, then finally I tried feeding just massivore pellets (still only giving it food hand feed) the first time it tried just massivore it spat it out, but as it was used to only eating out of my hand and the taste of massivore by the second pellet of not mixed I tried it took it, and I have not looked back.

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
Okay so i tried the pellets soak with bloodworms the datnoids just ignore the pellets and eat the bloodworm but ill just keep doing that until they finally eat the pellets.

hmm teacher fish, i have one datnoids and two loaches that eats the pellets like monsters. Does that work too? but for sure they don't starve to death right? thats what im afraid of.

Hoplo how long did it take for your datnoids to give in?

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
It only took a few weeks, I fed them as frozen blocks rather then defrosted, so that it couldn't help but eat massivore at the same time as blood worms

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
Seachem makes a product called entice, although i havnt had much luck with it for my tigrinus, ive had success in the past with other fish species, its worth a shot

Reactions: munchie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store