Need advice switching from discus

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
Can I give you some advice. Get a pair of small angelfish. Add a couple of loaches, perhaps a small school of diamond or lemon tetra and a porthole catfish.
Angelfish are great. I am always in awe of how beautiful my white one is. Not a veiltail but has very large, transparent fins. Really puts the "angel" in Angelfish. :)

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Angels can be just as high maintenance as Discus. Just thin out your numbers. Ive meet a tom of discus people with family and they managed to keep all the fish. And they where sellers

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fibbingbear

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
SoCal
Angels can be just as high maintenance as Discus. Just thin out your numbers. Ive meet a tom of discus people with family and they managed to keep all the fish. And they where sellers

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I get that there are people who can managed. But I work from 6am-5pm. That doesn't leave much time. Then there's always chores etc that comes up. In my own personal view, I won't put aquarium maintenance over my family. I used to do 2-3 wc a week. Now is down to one.

I'm not trying to start a discussion over how much time one needs to spend with a child. Or What is quality over quantity. Just looking for a substitute for discus. Thank you all

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
The 60 had how many discus? I would stick to smaller fish, maybe a breeding pair of sajica, cutteri,HRP and some swordtails. I think the 60 would be maxed out if more than 2 severum

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fibbingbear

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
SoCal
I currently have four. Two are full grown and two juvies. The two big ones, have laid eggs twice. Both times they have eaten the eggs over night.

fibbingbear

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
SoCal
I don't know the dimensions at the moment. It's a tall tank so it's shorter than a regular. I would like to have 1 severum plus a few more chiclids. I hope about 3-4

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
I don't know the dimensions at the moment. It's a tall tank so it's shorter than a regular. I would like to have 1 severum plus a few more chiclids. I hope about 3-4
I have a full grown breeding pair of severums in a 55 gal. They are alone less the fry that come every month or two. There is plenty of room for a couple more cichlids. Geos would be nice. I have a few 6 month old severums 4-5" with some geos (red heads & iphorogensis) and they do awesome together.

I would say go for it. And good luck!

And congrats!!!

I'll trade you some severums for some discus...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392302178.451557.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392302194.262386.jpg

See plenty of space for more fish, and some decor, etc

This pair was actually a rescue. Didnt know it was male and female. They were raised in a 40 hex.

They just started breeding in a 55 gal community much like you are describing..

Personally I would go with super red severums

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store