Need an Eel recommended

95Harley

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Yes it's true..all the really cool and beautiful eels are pure killers....DME, Tessy, Green, etc.

I am looking into a Goldentail, Canary (aka Banana), Yellow head, etc to get some ideas.

I already have a SFE and a White Eyed Eel in a smaller tank and want something with a little more flash...if you know what I mean. But I really don't want an 8' tank with a single eel and nothing else because he killed everything.

So the quest for the pefect eel continues.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
but a 8' tank with a dragon would be badd *** yellow heads are nice but i think they will eat anything that will fit in its mouth i did see a couple set ups before where people did have hawian dragons in tanks with large lions and groupers all the fish were pretty large didnt see any problems.... good luck with your search

Bgonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Monroe twp NJ
I had a tesselatta and a green moray for about 5 years. The grew from about 8" each to around 4' in a 180. They were truly bad ass, would eat anything that hit the water. My last casualty was a foot long miniatus grouper. I had to get rid of them because they were getting way to aggressive in my classroom tank. Principal came in one day and put his hand on the lid and the tesselatta nearly came thru the class to get him :eek: Next day there was a note in my mailbox to consider keeping guppies instead :D

bob

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Look into a Fimbriated Moray. They are pretty, price will not kill you, top out at under 40 inches, and you can keep them with other fish. I have one with a volitan and they get a long great.

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
what size is he? Fimbriates are one of the more aggressive eel species. I agree they can be kept with fish unable to be swallowed usually but a fimbriate especially as they get much more aggressive when full grown is not something i would recommend as a non agressive eel. I have had a small roughly 14-16 inches long one eat a fuzzy dwarf lionfish that i never expected him to get down. Just woke up one morning and he was gone without a trace.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'de say probobly 18 inches maybe closer to 20. The volitan is probably about 8 in. I agree they aren't exactly non violent but mine has never managed to eat smaller fish. Sure he might look at the lion funny every once in a while and he did take a few occasional shots at the monos and scats he used to be housed with. He never even ate any of the 7 GSPs that were also housed with him.

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Lucky. Mine was a little b*stard. I lost quite a few things to him.

Basically any of the gymnothorax have the potential to be trouble. But i think thats what makes them cool.

MITSUTECH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
MARYLAND
DB junkie;672127; said:
Look into a Fimbriated Moray. They are pretty, price will not kill you, top out at under 40 inches, and you can keep them with other fish. I have one with a volitan and they get a long great.
Fimbriated =death with any other fish even if it is to big to swallow.Unfortunately bites alone from these guys can lead to death....bad advice stay clear unless you want aspecies only tank in the end.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store