Need some help!

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
This has been a terrible week!! I woke up a couple of days ago to find my 22" silver aro dead and now today. As you can tell from my list of tanks i have a 396 Gallon tank with 4 motoro Rays and now only 1 Silver Aro. I came home today to a tank with my 8" male motoro that has a spine that it looks like it went through his mouth and is sticking out his body, i think just missing his lung. Will he survive this? and should i add salt to fight off any infection? I will post pics as soon as i can downloud them.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
Tell me what you think.

P1010533.JPG

P1010535.JPG

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
KJP;1357434; said:
This has been a terrible week!! I woke up a couple of days ago to find my 22" silver aro dead and now today. As you can tell from my list of tanks i have a 396 Gallon tank with 4 motoro Rays and now only 1 Silver Aro. I came home today to a tank with my 8" male motoro that has a spine that it looks like it went through his mouth and is sticking out his body, i think just missing his lung. Will he survive this? and should i add salt to fight off any infection? I will post pics as soon as i can downloud them.
here are a couple more.

P1010536.JPG

P1010537.JPG

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I am not sure what to tell you. The way they are barbed, it may work its way out of the wound.

It looks like it missed the major organs. Some salt could not hurt.

I think that you just give it a day or two before you take drastic action.

Good luck.

Colin

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Ouch! Best of luck.

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
OOW that looks nasty but as long as hes active and eating i think he should be fine sorry about ur silver btw

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I agree with colin... add a lil salt and do extra water changes... keep the water really clean with a lil salt and you may get lucky... best of luck to you...

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
hopefully it works like a sliver and works its way out. keep the water clean to try to avoid infection. good luck

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
DavidW;1358614; said:
"i think just missing his lung"

????????????????

I think you should try to carefully remove it ( use pliers to grip and pull it out) and do the salt treatment as others have said
I meant his organs but i was typing so fast i din't think about it until after i posted it. I have done the salt treatment and he is swimming around like there is nothing wrong with him.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I would not remove the stinger!! to remove it could potentially be fatal! remember the barbs of a stingray are not smooth, but a surated to inflict more damage if pulled. I have read females can/will sting a male if he is trying to mate and she is not willing. I am sure that it will work its way out, just do as every one else has said and make sure water is perfect in all ways, and maybe a little salt to help the healing along.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store