Need some help!

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I would not remove the stinger!! to remove it could potentially be fatal! remember the barbs of a stingray are not smooth, but a surated to inflict more damage if pulled. I have read females can/will sting a male if he is trying to mate and she is not willing. I am sure that it will work its way out, just do as every one else has said and make sure water is perfect in all ways, and maybe a little salt to help the healing along.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
I am leaning toward what Dr. sudz is saying. I will monitor it for a couple of days to see what happens. He is swimming around like it's no big deal.

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I am very torn. David's advice is golden however, as the ray moves, the spine will work through the ray's body.

I am thinking that this will happen in the next few days. If it does not, I think you should capture the animal in a small tub, cover the ray with something (a lid of sorts), grad the spine with some pliers and pull it through.

Colin

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
that really does not sound like it will be fun.... be very carefull when removing it... have a friend covering the rays stinger....

amazongirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Chicago
I agree with David that I would try to remove it. Is there any way you can have a vet do it or use some fish anesthetic? I would worry that you may injur the ray more if it is struggling while you try to remove it and you might hurt yourself as well. This is a possible route for infection. If the bottom of the spine is sticking out at the bottom of the disc you could clip that part off before you pull the spine through. That way the hole does not get any bigger than it has to when you pull it through since the base of the spine is wider than the tip.

Good luck

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Interesting.. Do you think he might of tried to eat the tail of another ray and swallowed the stinger? or is it through both sides?

Does Clove Oil work with Rays, like it does with Pufferfish?.. I never had a chance to test this when I was importing, never needed to.. would be good to know if it's a viable anesthetic... Since puffers and rays are similar in sensitivity both being scaleless, etc..

I would pull it out if it doesn't do it on it's own the next few days.. hopefully you can put it under, as the additional stress would probably be very detrimental to the ray.. just don't get stung.. cover the tail with a cloth.. Have a friend help you...

If it was me I would of immediately yanked it with pliers.. but that's not good advice nor conventional.. I am in strong belief that rays are hardy animals with an immense ability to regenerate if given the proper conditions..

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
DavidW;1359141;1359141 said:
obviously if you remove the stinger it would be in the direction that it went in so as not to tear anything else.
Leaving it in could become the source of infection.
I appreciate the info from everybody. Unfortunately it had to have gone through his mouth or i guess possibly through one of his gills, as there isn't a mark anywhere on his underside and no place for me to even try to pull it out. I have added salt and it has worked it's way out his disc another 1/4 " or so in just this first day. I will continue to monitor him but he is acting like nothing happened. Thanks again to everyone i will update with some pics in the next day or so.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
This is weird but the other male in the tank just ripped the spine out. He didn't seem to like it much but five minutes later he was eating as usual. The other male was really attracted to the spine sticking out but once it was out all of them went back to normal.

P1010538.JPG

P1010539.JPG

P1010540.JPG

P1010542.JPG

P1010547.JPG

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
wow, the other ray pulled it out? now thats cool. and very generous of his buddy.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Amazing..

so did you observe an awkward behavior by the other rays.. as if they were aware that their friend was injured or in need of help?.. Makes you wonder if rays have an extra sensory or communication ability we are oblivious to..

Permission to use the pix and write an article for the website?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store