Need Some Inspiration: How to Setup a Houseplant Shelf?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! As the title says, I need some inspiration for a plant cabinet or shelf. I love plants, and I really want to make an area dedicated to them in my room, unfortunately, I only have a small area to do so. Could some plant lovers show their setups?

Thx in advance!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I love plants. All mine are in my fish room because the temperature and humidity in there are perfect for the types of plants I keep (a lot are prayer plants).

A lot of the plants you see here are juvenile. I like the challenge of buying them small and growing them out. The problem I have is that most of these small plants will get to the size of the two big prayer plants you can see in the photos, so at some point I need to have a rethink regarding the available space I have.IMG_20240313_074216_HDR.jpgIMG_20240313_074109_HDR.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That's a nice looking fish room / plant room, and a dreary looking English day outside.
Everyday's dreary in my part of the world, lol.

My plant room is getting busier and busier. My MTS is waning, but my MPS is threatening to overwhelm me, lol.

Like I said, most of my plants are small grow outs, most will get considerably bigger, and that is when the wife will start chewing my ear off.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I love plants. All mine are in my fish room because the temperature and humidity in there are perfect for the types of plants I keep (a lot are prayer plants).

A lot of the plants you see here are juvenile. I like the challenge of buying them small and growing them out. The problem I have is that most of these small plants will get to the size of the two big prayer plants you can see in the photos, so at some point I need to have a rethink regarding the available space I have.View attachment 1537529View attachment 1537530
You definitely have a green thumb.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas

A lot of the plants you see here are juvenile. I like the challenge of buying them small and growing them out. The problem I have is that most of these small plants will get to the size of the two big prayer plants you can see in the photos, so at some point I need to have a rethink regarding the available space I have.View attachment 1537529View attachment 1537530
Beautiful selection! I especially love the little bonsai, I have one too, and its sprouting new leaves rn. I'm hoping it will get to something closer to yours.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
especially love the little bonsai
That is my latest acquisition, I got it only last weekend after drawing a bit of inspiration from the recent bonsai thread.

It's a buxus harlandii, which I believe is the basic standard issue beginner bonsai. When I got it it was just like a little ball of greenery on a trunk, it lacked that little tree shape. So I've trimmed it a little bit and it looks better now.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
For a really good looking bonsai, you have to keep it for two to three hundred years, I believe.
Apparently not. A 200-300 year old bonsai is still relatively young, lol. I believe this one below is the oldest bonsai in the world. Reported to be around 1000 years old!!

89bc99c33f9794dbe29749963a14133b_480x480.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store