NEVER release an aquarium fish into the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for the article, Ryan. I can't believe a fisheries biologist can't tell the difference between a pacu and a pirhana.

abpositive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Tempe, AZ
Releasing to the wild is
1. Stupid
2. Illegal
3. Stupid

Did I mention that it was stupid?:headbang2

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
Same goes for plants. My biology teacher had us watch this show on hydrophilia. A public aquarium, on the coast of the Mediterrarean Sea, had hydrophilia in most of their tanks and part of the plant got into the sea. It spread out over most of the bottom of the sea and killed the native plants taking away food from the plant eating marine life. Yadda Yadda Yadda. The same plant (like the same excact plant with the same excact DNA and stuff) was found off the coast of Australia. Then later it said that there was a smaller outbreak off the coast of San Diego and to take care of it the biologist but a big tarp over the plant and filled it with chlorine to kill the plants. Now I believe the plant is banned.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Same goes for plants. My biology teacher had us watch this show on hydrophilia. A public aquarium, on the coast of the Mediterrarean Sea, had hydrophilia in most of their tanks and part of the plant got into the sea. It spread out over most of the bottom of the sea and killed the native plants taking away food from the plant eating marine life. Yadda Yadda Yadda. The same plant (like the same excact plant with the same excact DNA and stuff) was found off the coast of Australia. Then later it said that there was a smaller outbreak off the coast of San Diego and to take care of it the biologist but a big tarp over the plant and filled it with chlorine to kill the plants. Now I believe the plant is banned.
Great point! Make sure you are careful when boating, not to transfer plants either.

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
don't take this the wrong way, guys but i'd love to have the lake near my house full of cichilds and monsterfish... but i guess i'll wait till i can and build my own lake i can ruin. eheheh

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
freshwhater fish here in portugal are pretty laim, if anything it whould add varietty and maibe kill a few smaller fish and some bugs...:grinyes: :woot: :grinno:

rascalsweet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2006
New Tazewell, TN
1st off I'm really enjoying the web site. I agree it not smart to put pet fish in the wild.
I read of large snake dieing eating an alligator, scary to think about, either one could ate me. Here in TN we have a problem with a bait fish used for striper fishing, El why I think, being released and it is claimed to be a major eater of native fish eggs. I had some orange carp in one of our farm ponds, I have no ideal where they came from. I haven't caught any for years. not sure if it was the catfish some one put in there of snapping turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store